6 Jun 2013

Milky Way Midnight Dark Review


It was only quite recently that I found out that what the Americans call a Milky Way is not the same as the Milky Way sold in the UK. I have no idea why this difference in branding exists, but the fact is that the American Milky Way is what the rest of the world knows as a Mars Bar. This Milky Way Midnight Dark was sent to me by one of my favourite online shops for worldwide goodies - Monster Sweets.


The name "Midnight Dark" might seem like just a fancy way of saying that this Milky Way is made with dark chocolate, but the bar's appearance is so dark and glossy that it fully lives up to the title. It's simply one of the best looking bars I've seen in a long time.


The centre is just perfection too. I love the appearance of the pure white nougat layer! It looks so good contrasted with the dark outer chocolate and a golden layer of caramel. Usually, my family leave me to it when they see me chopping up chocolate bars and taking photos for my blog - I'm sure they think I'm slightly odd. However on this occasion the whole lot of them crowded around to get a better look and a "can I have a piece" chant started up in full swing. It just looks so good!

The flavour is what you would expect from a dark chocolate Mars Bar. The nougat is sweet and fluffy, but not exactly vanilla flavoured as the packaging describes. The layer of caramel seems to provide most of the flavour, it's buttery undertones suiting the golden colour perfectly. It's all surrounded by the smooth chocolate which may be dark in colour but is not a dark chocolate by taste. It's a sweet chocolate, without any intense or bitter edge. Overall, I thought the Milky Way Midnight Dark was extremely tasty with it's satisfying combination of simple flavours... and yes, I DID share it with the family, and they all enjoyed it too! :)

Monster Sweets kindly sent me this product for an honest review but all views expressed are my own. Check out Monster Sweets online to view their full range of US and European chocolates and sweets 

Grocery Gems Verdict: Milky Way Midnight Dark

RATING: 8.5 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Yes.
Nutrition: 220 calories, 8g fat, 29g sugars.
Purchased: Available at Monster Sweets.
Price: £0.99p.

3 comments:

  1. It's such a great looking bar isnt' it? I easily prefer this to the milk chocolate version and I am seriously craving one now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It goes well half sliced into a pancake. :) AMAZING!. Thank you for a brilliant review as always. Its a strange one with the Milky way/Mars bar naming. The Milky way original is the American version of the Mars bar but there are some small differences, Mars bars give me bad tooth ache but the American version Milky way original doesn't so there must be something different. This experiment was carried out under controlled conditions with a nice cup of coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the American Mars Bar was like a Snickers with almonds instead of peanuts, but it is now gone and they just call it Snickers Almond. However, I may be wrong about this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...