14 Jun 2013

Nespresso Caramelito, Vanilio & Ciocattino Review - New Variations for 2013


Nespresso have released three new flavoured Variations, into their permanent Grand Cru espresso range. They all feature the Livanto Grand Cru as the base coffee with the addition of 100% natural flavours. I was eagerly awaiting the news of which flavours would be introduced and I'm extremely pleased with the choices of caramel, vanilla & chocolate. Nespresso have released these flavours before as Limited Edition Variations a few years ago, but this was before I was a Nespresso owner!


I bought these from the Nespresso boutique in London yesterday. I've tried all three flavours and here are my initial thoughts (all were made using the Lungo setting and with a touch of added milk).


Nespresso Caramelito - The shop assistant in the Nespresso Store told me that the Caramelito was her personal favourite of the three. It's certainly a good espresso, with delicately sweet notes that I enjoyed. However, I didn't find the caramel flavour to be particularly well defined, and I doubt I would have been able to guess that this was a caramel at all. It lacks the smooth buttery notes of a caramel, possessing instead the more subtle hints of a slightly burnt toffee.


Nespresso Vanilio: I love the Vanilio, it has all the velvety vanilla flavour I expected without the sugariness that this would usually entail. It strikes a perfect balance between the base espresso and the vanilla notes. Even though the vanilla is strong and full flavoured, it doesn't overpower the espresso, ensuring that this is a delicious coffee that's easy to drink at any time of day.


Nespresso Ciocattino: This Ciocattino was a real revelation. I'm not usually a fan of mochas, as I don't like the combination of chocolate and coffee at all (even though I like eating chocolate with a cup of coffee!). However, the Nespresso Ciocattino is just perfection, and was easily my husband's favourite of the three. The chocolate comes through as secondary to the initial espresso flavour and leaves a smooth finish reminiscent of a dark chocolate. I recommend drinking one of these with a plain croissant to hand - the combination was heavenly!



16 comments:

  1. Yeah! New Nespresso's. Great reviews Katherine. I'll probably try all of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great stuff Maria, let me know how you get on :)

      Delete
  2. Do we know the nutrition facts for these capsules? is there sugar added?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ingredients listed are; Roast & Ground coffee, natural flavouring. No sugar. There are 5 calories per serving.

      Delete
  3. Agree re the Caramelito - a real let down. Bitter, burnt coffee taste. A real disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the only one I wouldn't repurchase.

      Delete
    2. Dude that one seemed my favourite. I only tried it with milk so far. The chocolate one tastes very weird to me, unlike anything I have ever tasted before, alone or with foam.

      Delete
  4. I love all the new flavours, but I love the Caramelito and the Vanilio best:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought these in Cyprus in the local Nespresso boutique and I tried after lunch the Ciocattino. OMG it's so delicious! I added a bit of fresh cream on top and I didn't even need to add sugar, it was so nice and sweet. I'm eager to try now the other two flavours, but so far the dark chocolate flavor is a real winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! I'm glad you enjoyed the Ciocattino, it's become one of my favourites - especially at the weekend!

      Delete
  6. Oh btw forgot to mention, I also bought the latest flavor, Masala Chai, which I'll try it this weekend. Have you already tried it, and if yes, how did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it yet, but I'd love to know what you think of it after you try it this weekend. Please post back with what you thought :)

      The Masala Chai is only being released in certain countries where it was the winner of the public vote to find a limited edition flavour. In the UK the winning flavour was Cioccorossa, a red berries and chocolate combination and I hope to have a review of this one very soon (it was released this week).

      I will try to get my hands on the Masala Chai variation too, it sounds like a very interesting flavour!

      Delete
  7. Caramelio boxes now contain "artificially flavored" stickers. Makes me wonder what other artificial ingredients are in the other capsules and why it has taken so long for them to admit this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do not like any of them - all feel artificially flavoured, but LOVED the dark chocolate and red berries from the winter of 2013, which they foolishedly removed from the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the Cioccorosso from last year was surprisingly good:

      http://grocerygems.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/review-nespresso-cioccorosso-limited.html

      I do like the Vanilio one also, but I've never bought any of the other flavours again. I'm still waiting for news about the Christmas variation this year - anyone know what it will be?

      Delete
  9. Nespresso machine is up and running! :D Can't say I thought any of these 3 tasted of anything other than strong espresso.. Had to squirt some vanilla drops in each :/ I am a bit disappointed really! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...