5 Sept 2014

New Tesco Custard Cream Biscuit Spread


This Custard Cream Spread has been creating a buzz even before most of us could find it instore. I don't think I've ever had a photo on instagram or Facebook attract as much attention as the photo I posted of this spread when I spotted a jar in Tesco. I completely understand the appeal, I had a similar OMG!! moment when I saw it - it's a custard cream SPREAD for goodness sake! Complete genius on the part of Tesco to take such a classic Biscuit biscuit and turn it into a spreadable delight. I bought a jar of the Custard Cream Spread as soon as I saw it (last week in one of those massive out of town Tesco Extras) but it's taken me longer than usual to review it. I guess I needed to give it a rigorous testing!


For any overseas readers not familiar with custard cream biscuits, they are golden biscuits filled with a creamy vanilla flavoured layer. In 2007 they were named Britain's favourite biscuit by 9 out of 10 people asked! One thing I've realised about custard cream biscuits is it really doesn't matter which brand I buy, from cheap supermarket value ones to more expensive branded versions, they all pretty much taste identical. It's like there's only one factory that churns these things out. Is anyone out there loyal to a one particular brand of custard creams? 


The Tesco Custard Cream spread is described on the back as "vanilla flavour spread with biscuits". The main ingredients are; custard cream biscuits (37%), rapeseed oil, sugar, palm oil, natural vanilla flavouring, and hazelnuts (and of course the separate ingredients for the biscuits themselves). The good news about this spread is that it really does have that familiar custard cream flavour, along with an extra creamy edge to go with the biscuity taste. It's tastes just like liquidised custard cream biscuits! Unfortunately the bad news about this spread is that it has a difficult texture - it's just TOO soft. It looks okay in the jar but as soon as it meets even the slightest warm surface it becomes too runny. Even the bagel in the photo had to be practically cold before I could take the photo - and it still went gloopy. I've tried keeping the jar in the fridge but it didn't really help for serving the spread on something warm, like a waffle or toast. 

Has anyone else had this same experience? I don't think I've ever come across a spread with such a soft texture, it definitely needs to be more robust when warm. It's a shame because the spread does taste very good!

There are several other biscuit spreads available in this new range from Tesco - check out my photos at the end of this post HERE.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Tesco Custard Cream Spread

RATING: 6 out of 10 - more if I can find a colder use for it!
Buy them again?: I might try the other spreads in the range.
Nutrition (per 15g): 89 calories.
Purchased: Tesco.
Price: £1.99 (400g jar).


14 comments:

  1. I really want try cookies spread! This falvour is not interesting for me but cookies and cookies and cream - yes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't tried that one but I've heard it's very good...

      Delete
  2. What a shame the texture ruined your experience! I nearly died when I saw your Instagram picture and I'll still have to try this for myself some day. I've just eaten (evening treat time!) but the thought of this spread's making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I think the photos have that affect on a lot of people. Let me know if you try it :)

      Delete
  3. Surprised this is so gloopy...they must have added to much oil to the recipe. Will you be reviewing the bourbon cream variety?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried that one yet! I hope to get it soon.

      Delete
  4. I bought this custard cream spread and didn't have the same problem. Maybe you got a bad batch? Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, that's a great excuse to buy another jar!

      Delete
  5. I sooo luved this spread when I bought it, I literally couldn't stop eating from the jar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I do like it from the jar too, it's basically liquidised biscuits!

      Delete
  6. Maybe it could be used to flavour ice cream. I live in the US so I don't think I've seen it before, but if it's that runny, it'd probably combine rather well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea Sergei! It would be delicious with ice cream. I'll try that next :)

      Delete
  7. For some reason this product has been getting a lot of coverage past few of days. Bet views for this page have jumped!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just had it for breakfast! It's nice but doesn't beat Nutella. I like custard cream milkshakes more - from Shakeaway or a milkshake stand that blends milk, icecream and actual biscuits!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...