22 Dec 2014

Around the World: Chocolate Megapost


A few weeks ago I received a gorgeous parcel of chocolates from the lovely @BanjoChocolate - she knows just how to find the most interesting chocolate bars. I always enjoy her selections, from Polish Chocolate bars to great Discount Store finds! Even though many of these chocolates are from other countries, they are all fairly easy to find in UK shops.

One chocolate bar that you can't find any more in the shops is of course the much missed Banjo Chocolate - if you remember this bar from the 1980s then be sure to take a look at the Bring Back Banjo Chocolate Facebook Page!


Gnaw Banoffee Pie: @BanjoChocolate knows that I'm always looking out for banana flavoured chocolates and she managed to include two banana chocolate bars that I've never tried before. I've heard lots of good things about the Gnaw range of handcrafted chocolate bars and I can't wait to try their Banoffee Pie flavour.


Figaro Banana In Chocolate: The packaging and concept looks a bit like the Czech chocolate bar, Banány v Cokolade that I've previously reviewed. This Banana in Chocolate bar is in fact from Slovakia and is made by Figaro, a chocolate brand established in 1906. The filling looks like it's a foamy marshmallow affair, and it will be interesting to see how this works will the banana flavour. 


Simply Swiss Milk Chocolate: A milk chocolate bar produced in Switzerland with added ground hazelnuts and caramelised macadamia nuts. These bars can often be found in discount stores but they look very similar to premium ranges of Swiss chocolates. The addition of ground hazelnuts into the chocolate itself adds a delicious background flavour. There are plenty of caramelised macadamia nuts throughout the chocolate that provide a buttery sweet crunch. I'm sorry I didn't manage to get any photos of the chocolate itself because someone *cough* MR GROCERY GEMS *cough* practically ate the whole thing in one sitting. 


E. Wedel Karmel Love - Caramel with Salted Peanuts: This is such a gorgeous chocolate bar -  it's seriously good! It can be found in Polish grocery shops and consists of a caramel flavoured white chocolate with added salted peanuts. 


The caramel chocolate base is extremely sweet and by itself would probably be too sweet for me. However, the salted peanuts add just enough salty and nutty flavour to balance out the sweetness of the chocolate. It's such an unusual combination of caramel and salted peanuts, but it works so well and is just so tasty. This is a chocolate that is well worth trying to track down.



Lidl Deluxe Cappuccino White Chocolate: Another interesting looking bar is this Deluxe Cappuccino White Chocolate which is available at Lidl. It's unusual to find white chocolate and coffee combinations. I have to admit I don't often take time to look too closely at the chocolates in Lidl, I'm often just rushing through for basic groceries rather than treats, but there are plenty of hidden gems to be found there!


Prince Polo XXL Karmelowe: A new limited edition flavour for the Prince Polo range of wafers from Poland. This massive bar is a combination of wafers, milk chocolate and caramel. Another great find from @BanjoChocolate! Look out for my review coming soon.

Many thanks again to @BanjoChocolate for sending me such a gorgeous selection of chocolate bars - all of which were new to me. I've really enjoyed the two I've tried so far and I'm looking forward to trying each of the others!

Please don't forget to check out the Facebook page for Bring Back Banjo Chocolate and sign the petition here too! Thank you :)


6 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine,

    I just discovered your blog today, and what a fun post this is!!! Warm greetings and Merry Christmas from Montreal, Canada. I have an online friend, and she is originally from Finland and lives in Ireland, and she sent me a couple of lovely chocolate bars from Finland...they were so good! I have tried mostly Swiss and chocolate from here in Canada the the U.S., but I have never tried any Polish ones. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,

      Thank you for the lovely comment! And how wonderful that you have a friend who can send you chocolates from Finland - it's always exciting to receive goodies from another country!

      Merry Christmas to you too and all the best for 2015 :)

      Delete
  2. I keep wondering if you know about this website or not, updated daily-ish.

    http://www.fdin.org.uk/

    I guess you do, but if you don't it's all about new uk products.

    Merry xmas btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan! I do follow FDIN, they're a great site for food news, although I have to admit that I don't check them as regularly as I should.

      Another good one is http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/home/latest-news/

      I hope you have a great week and a very Merry Christmas too!

      Delete
  3. Wedel KarmeLove is so, so so good! This is only one chocolate from Wedel what I like :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi i'm a silent reader haha, i love your blog so much! I'm so jealous we dont have all the products in the Netherlands! Our lidl have othet products than the u.k , maybe its a weird question and if you don't want to just say it but would you like to send each other food? If you don't want just say it!

    Happy holidays,
    Marin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...