2 Jul 2015

New Review: Cheetos Relaunched in the UK - Cheetos Crunchy & Cheetos Twisted


Cheetos have been fairly easy to find in the UK, usually imported via the US or from other European countries. Depending on whether you go for a bag from Poland or from the US they can be quite cheap or very expensive. Apparently it's been a fairly long time since they were last launched here, it seems that 1990 was the last time the UK saw a Cheetos release.

This time around there are two varieties available - Cheetos Twisted Flamin' Hot and Cheetos Crunchy Cheese Flavour. Both bags contain 30g but are very different in actual pack size.


The first thing that struck me about the new Cheetos Twisted are just how massive each snack is. The bag literally had 8 snacks in total in the bag, but they're so big that the pack still felt very full. These snacks are fairly basic maize based corn puffs with a flavour that is not too dissimilar to Monster Munch Flamin' Hot. The only real point of difference is the massive size of each individual puff. I've reviewed Cheetos that are bug shaped, but these Cheetos Twisted will now rate as the wackiest shape I've tried so far.


The Cheetos Crunchy Cheese flavour look like the classic, knobbly, Cheetos Crunchy snack that I'm sure most people are familiar with. The cheese flavour however, tastes different to how I remember, although I have to admit that I haven't bought these types of Cheetos for quite a few years now. These have a cheese flavour that is quite creamy and not too overpowering (unlike most cheese puff type snacks). The flavour reminds me more of Quavers than anything else, but just alongside a much crunchier texture.

The Cheetos Crunchy and Cheetos Twisted are available in price-marked 39p bags, with a 3 for £1 offer, making them almost half the price of the other big brand crisp packets in my local newsagent. It's good value but it must be said that these packets are quite small - the Cheetos Crunchy bag in particular felt like a very small portion. For bigger appetites, the Cheetos Twisted will also be available in larger sharing bags for £1.00p each.

Grocery Gems Review: Cheetos Twisted & Cheetos Crunchy UK

RATING: 7 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Maybe.
Nutrition: Cheetos Twisted - 160 calories, Cheetos Crunchy - 165 calories.
Purchased: Local Premier Store.
Price: £0.39p each or 3 for £1.00p.


6 comments:

  1. I actually love Cheetos whenever I see them abroad but over here i'm always put off by the fact I almost never see them in the individual bags, only the big sharing bags (which always seem to go soggy before they all get eaten) so I hope this is news that individual bags will become more common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scottie, that's a very good point. I much prefer these smaller bags too.

      Delete
  2. There have been crisps that look identical to those out for quite a while now. I buy them quite regularly locally. They taste exactly the same as flamin hot wotsits except are giant spirals.

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smiths-Twisted-Flamin-Flavour-Puffs/dp/B00F9XNKBE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite sure it not only looks identical but it actually is identical!
      Smiths must have sold the blue print to Cheetos or merged this particular range with them.

      Delete
  3. The crunchy cheetos were available here in the 80s and 90s, and for the life of me I can't work out why they every took them away. The twisted ones aren't to my taste, so I don't mind if they disappear, but please don't take away the crunchy ones again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They've recently started selling these at my local corner shop & they remind me of cheese nik-naks. The individual packs sold in tescos for £1.40 taste much stronger where as these taste creamier. Very moreish x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...