6 Feb 2016

Review: Aldi Chocolate Bars - Racer, Titan, Dreemy & Wacko


I recently stepped into Aldi to buy a few fruit and veggies and ended up adding at least five different packs of chocolate bars to my basket. In my defense they're all chocolates that are obviously based on popular chocolate bars - it's only fair that I buy them for a comparison review right? The DairyFine Dreemy is basically a Milky Way, the DairyFine Racer is Snickers, the DairyFine Titan is a Mars Bar and the Belmont Caramel Wacko is a bit like Twix (although not really - see below). These all come in multipacks of various sizes and value but they were all fairly cheap.


DairyFine Dreemy: These are described as lightly whipped nougat covered in milk chocolate. The nougat centre has a darker, more caramel type colour compared to a MilkyWay, but the flavour is very similar. It fact the Dreemy even has the same sweet malty aftertaste that Milky Way chocolate bars have. The outer chocolate is quite thick and has a good cocoa flavour to it as well. Overall these compare very favourable to a Milky Way and I would definitely buy them again. 

RATING: 8 out of 10.
INFO: £0.42p for a six pack. 100 calories per 22g bar.


DairyFine Titan: The Titan is described as a milk chocolate with soft nougat and caramel centre. It looks and tastes very similar to a Mars bar. The caramel especially has a good flavour and the chocolate outer is generously portioned with a very thick layer and has a lovely creamy flavour. The only slight negative is that I did find the nougat a little bland and the whole thing is a bit too sweet for me. However, I would probably say the same thing about Mars bars so they're a decent enough replacement!

RATING: 7 out 10.
INFO: £0.59p for a six pack. 172 calories per 38g bar.


DairyFine Racer: This is a soft nougat with roasted peanuts and caramel coated in milk chocolate. I  much prefer a Snickers bar over a Mars bar any day - the slightly salty edge from the peanuts makes all the difference for me. I was happy to find that the Racer really does capture that delicious roasted peanut and caramel flavour of a Snickers. The nougat layer is quite thin here and there seems to be more caramel which I enjoyed. The chocolate is again very thick and creamy. Mr. Grocery Gems is a Snickers fan and he gave the Racer a thumbs up too.

RATING: 9 out of 10.
INFO: £0.59p for a six pack. 185 calories per 38g bar.


Belmont Wacko: I actually meant to include the DairyFine Jive at this point as it's pretty much an exact match for Twix bars from Aldi (just a bit smaller). However, the Jive bars were all eaten before I could take a photo, which should probably tell you just how good they are. Instead, here are the Wacko chocolate biscuit bars with caramel. They're also delicious with a crunchy shortcake biscuit, thick caramel and creamy chocolate. It's obviously not as Twix-y as the Jive bar so I'll have to update this review at some point.

Rating: 8 out of 10.
INFO: £0.89p for 9 biscuit bars. 102 calories per 21g biscuit bar.

Let me know if you've tried any of these bars in the comments below. I'd also love to hear from you if you've tried any of the other copycat Aldi bars such as the DairyFine Romeo (coconut bars that look similar to Bounty).

33 comments:

  1. Dreamy/Milky Way malty?
    You never tried the original Milky Way then?
    Or a Flyte. Now they HAVE malt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graver, not sure what you mean by original Milky Way, do you mean the American one? I've certainly had the UK Milky Way very recently and I find them to have a creamy and malty flavour. The Dreemy nougat also has a malty flavour, in my opinion, which is not present in the Titan's nougat.

      I've never had a Flyte but now I really want to try one!

      Delete
  2. Very helpful review and great pics. 59p for a six pack. Around a third the price of the Mars brand. Will be heading to Aldi next week and buying these x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anon, I'm glad you enjoyed the review!

      These chocs are definitely worth a try at this price but I also think they're just as tasty as the big brands. Let me know what you think if you try them :)

      Delete
  3. The light in the first pic made me think titfin is an odd name for them to choose for a chocolate bar. I need to get my eyes tested I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha í thought they'd changed the name of wacko cos of political correctness, I know there used to be 'disco biscuits' but they are called something else now cos of the drug slang connection.

    I daren't go in there to get any more obsessions, the nesquick milk bars was enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Aldi still has Disco biscuits too. I didn't know that was dodgy! Wacko is just a ridiculous name for a biscuit though.

      The Nesquick milk bars are just delish :)

      Delete
    2. really, they are still called that?

      http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/opinion/bogof/aldi-down-on-disco-biscuits/230835.article

      im not a drug user, the name just amused me, then i found out about the connection! i thought they were called groovy something now

      Delete
    3. I think they are supposed to be the same as Rocky bars, hence the choc only and then the choc and caramel versions :)

      Delete
  5. Ive had the Dairyfine Caramel Buttons which are very nice.,..similar to Cadbury Caramel Nibbles, but cheaper and actually nicer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try those next!

      Delete
    2. i tried their regular buttons but wasnt impressed. i was using them for a cake, but isntead of eating the rest of the bag like i would with cadburys, i took them to my office for other people to eat!

      Delete
  6. The original UK Milky Way was far darker inside and had a maltier flavour, like a Flyte.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought the Wacko bars were very similar to Rocky Caramel (just half the price)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anon, that's a great comparison. I've never tried a Rocky Caramel but it's good to know that the Aldi version is similar.

      Delete
    2. Yes, an excellent copy of the Rocky bar

      Delete
  8. I came here after googling to see if anyone else is of the same opinion - i swear the Titan bars are the same as the original Milky bars (1993?) Anyone else think the same?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always said i'd never buy another Marathon until they changed the name back from that S-word, the Racer makes it so much easier.
    Also I absolutely love the Belmont Chunky bars (Jacobs Club lookalikes).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Racer gone up in price and down in quality, they increased the sweetness and reduced the peanuts, it is more of very sweet chocolate with caramel, it is more like Mars bars not snickers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am confused, Aldi seem to do a lot of copycat confectionery at greatly reduced prices. I assume Lidl do the same. What is not to like about that? However, if the manufacturers change the make up or increase the price, then I would vote with my feet. My money, your loss!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...