27 Feb 2013

New Pringles Roast Chicken & Herbs Review



New from Pringles is this Roast Chicken & Herbs flavour, which I believe is exclusive to the UK. Apparently roast chicken is the sixth most popular flavour of crisps here in the UK, and it seems that Pringles would like to claim their share. Pringles are technically not even potato crisps, they are officially called a "savoury snack", which is because they actually contain less than 50% potato. It's not a brand that I buy very often, but I was tempted by the Roast Turkey variety. Since I never managed to track those down, I was pleased to find this similar (ish) flavour.



Mmmm - carved straight from this strange looking chicken. It's worth noting that a lot of meat flavoured crisps (certainly in the UK) are more often than not completely vegetarian, i.e. they don't contain any meat at all. It's not the case here as "chicken fat" is listed as an ingredient in these potato crisps savoury snacks. It doesn't sound very appetising does it, but unsurprisingly, as soon as I popped the lid, I could smell a strong chicken aroma alongside the usual herby scent associated with roast chicken crisps.


These Pringles have quite a pale colouring, and the seasoning is very evenly spread. Right from the first bite, the chicken flavour is intense. It's full-on meaty, no subtle mere hint of a taste here - this is a chicken flavour that wants to be the main rooster in the chicken coop. The dominant chicken flavour is followed by herby undertones from the rosemary. And then there is salt. A whole lot of salt.


The salty edge means I didn't find these as moreish as other flavours of Pringles. However they are still wickedly tasty, and if the sixth most popular flavour of crisps is your favourite, then you should give these Pringles a try.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Pringles Roast Chicken & Herbs

RATING: 6.5 out of 10.
Buy them again?: I'll buy Pringles the next time they have a new flavour :-)
Nutrition (per 30g)
: 152 calories. 1.3g protein,  16g carbohydrates, 0.7g sugar, 9.4g fat.
Purchased: Premier Stores.
Price: £1.25 (half price offer).



9 comments:

  1. I don't know what it is because I love chicken and I love Pringles but I just don't fancy this flavour at all. I am not a fan of chicken flavoured crisps or chicken flavoured savoury snacks all together really, I just find them a bit bland.
    Did you try the burger flavoured Pringles? They were AMAZING but sadly I can't find them since a couple of weeks ago :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sort of the opposite. I love chicken flavour crisps but I'm not the greatest fan of Pringles. But I hadn't heard of a "burger flavour". Where did you find such a thing? I *want* them!

      Delete
    2. They were in Asda. They didn't say limited edition or anything but I can't find them anymore. They really did taste of burgers!

      Delete
  2. I'm a Pringles fan too!! Can't wait to find this one :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pringles are just so addictive once you start eating them! I hope you can find this flavour :-)

      Delete
  3. I love love love chicken flavoured crisps, altho admittedly I haven't bought Pringles in a long time now. Loved them years ago when they were first around but, sadly, like most things these days they are nowhere near as tasty as they used to be and are much smaller too!! :(
    I may try these tho if i come across them - the most amazing chicken flavour crisps (that around xmas i was addicted too!) were the Walkers Sensations Roast Chicken & Thyme flavour. Mmmmmm they were lovely! And Walkers original chicken ones will always be a fave :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh yes Walkers make some good chicken crisps! I don't think I have tried the Sensations ones so I'll look out for them - they sound delicious. I usually switch to Turkey crisps around Christmas :-)

      Delete
  4. I tried these over Christmas and I was impressed with the chicken and herb flavour if a tad salty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken flavour is very good in these :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...