13 May 2015

Review: Haribo Starmix Frenzy Edition - New Flavours!


I've often said in my previous Haribo reviews that it's a shame that we don't get some of the more interesting Haribo flavours that are released in Germany. Well, that's certainly not the case with the new Haribo Starmix Frenzy Edition which features a variety of different flavours.


The new flavours listed on the back are Apricot (yellow bears), Pineapple (orange bears), Mandarin (green bears), Grapefruit (blue hearts), Passion Fruit (pink eggs!), Watermelon (purple soda bottles), Passion Fruit & Grapefruit (pink and blue rings), Passion Fruit & Lime (pink and purple rings), and Grapefruit & Pomegranate (yellow and blue rings).

I know Haribo have released Watermelon flavoured sweets before in the UK - but I don't think I have seen Pomegranate, Apricot and Mandarin flavours from Haribo before!


The packaging for the Haribo Starmix Frenzy Edition and sweets themselves are extremely colourful and eye catching. I love the bright and summery theme here.


I started with the green bear (mandarin) and although the flavour is initially a bit subtle, it does have a burst of a sweet and distinctive citrus flavour at the end. The yellow bear (apricot) has a light flavour that is a cross between peach and apricot. The orange bear (pineapple) has a good fruity flavour with a tangy edge.


The blue rings (Passion Fruit & Grapefruit) are dominated by a sweet and zesty grapefruit flavour. I was most curious about the yellow rings (Grapefruit & Pomegranate) but I found these the blandest of the bunch, and I couldn't really detect any pomegranate flavour. The pink rings (Passion Fruit & Lime) have a lovely tropical flavour with the passion fruit coming through strongly here.


Lastly, the three odd shapes in the pack. The blue foam-backed heart (Grapefruit) has the same zesty citrus taste as the blue rings but the sweet foam back mellows out the flavour. The pink eggs (Passion Fruit) are my favourites from this Frenzy Edition - they're just so cute! The flavour is similar to the pink ring with a tropical sweetness in the centre pink "yolk". I also really enjoyed the purple and pink soda bottles and their super sweet watermelon flavour.


As I mentioned in a previous New Instore post there is also a Haribo Tangfastics Frenzy Edition available, also with new flavours.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Haribo Starmix Frenzy Edition

RATING: 8 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Yes.
Purchased: Primark (in their sweets section).
Price: £0.80p for 200g bag.



6 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try the tangfastics, the flavours sound lovely. Love the pink egg yolk lol in these lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm expecting the Tangfastics to be even nicer than the Starmix, I think the sour edge will bring out the fruity flavours a bit more.

      The pink egg is so cute - I hope they do a blue one soon!

      Delete
  2. Just tried the tangfastics sour mix tonight in the new flavours. Im 30, been scoffing these for well over 20 years now and these new ones have just left me with a big smile on my face, almost taking me back to the first time I tried them all those years ago. I got hooked then, I'm still hooked now. Great work Haribo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw these in Tesco today along with the Tangfastics variety so I bought them both and really enjoyed them. Although I prefer them to the Starmix with blueberry bears and Tangfastics with watermelon slices that came out two years ago I'm glad there is now another watermelon flavoured Tangfastic in the form of a 'cola' bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are nice. All except the watermelon bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried them and didn't quite like it :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...