30 Dec 2013

Review: Hello Kitty Bread Bun


Super cuteness alert! My husband bought me this Hello Kitty bread bun to cheer me up today and honestly he couldn't have picked a better surprise! I've had some dodgy looking Hello Kitty food products in the past (especially these Hello Kitty Ice Lollies!), but this character bread is absolutely gorgeous looking and a very successful reproduction of the famous kitty in bread form! It's a very large sweetened bread bun, filled with a chocolate cream.


Isn't she just adorable? Almost too good to eat... almost.


I feel compelled to show off the back of the bread bun because I think it looks impressive even from this angle.


I didn't want to do this, but I had to chop her in half to photograph the filling. Sorry HK! The filling is a yummy chocolate custard cream.


I really did enjoy this bread bun, the dough is super soft with a slight sweetness, very similar to other Japanese sweet bread buns I've tried (usually filled with plain custard). It's a bit like a brioche only less buttery. The filling was very fresh tasting with a custard creaminess and sweet chocolate flavour. It complimented the soft bread very well, but I'd also like to try a version of this without any filling at all. I just loved the bread part! 

My husband bought this from the Japan Centre concession at Westfield Shopping Centre in Stratford. They also have a few other locations in London and are well worth a visit. Apparently there were some other character bread buns available too.

Grocery Gems: Hello Kitty Bread Bun

RATING: 10 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Absolutely.
Ingredients: Wheat flour, water, sugar, egg, butter, glucose, yeast, skimmed milk powder, salt, milk chocolate, custard powder.
Purchased: Japan Centre www.japancentre.com
Price: £1.99.

8 comments:

  1. Now that's cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally Hello Kitty worthy in the cuteness stakes.

      Delete
  2. Hmmmm, I feel l need to make a stop at Japan Centre this week... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has to be the most amazing thing I have ever seen! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin. I told my husband this may just be the best thing I'll ever review lol :)

      Delete
  4. Awh, I feel bad that she was chopped in half hahaha.
    I remember getting a Totoro bun from Japan Centre a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still don't get this "Hello Kitty" craze that's going on at the moment, but that sure is one cool looking bread bun!

    Great review Katherine and a happy new year to you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...