17 Jan 2013

Cadbury Egg 'n' Spoon Review


I've been in denial about the fact that Easter chocolates are already available in the shops, I just couldn't face the thought so soon after Christmas, but this new Egg 'n' Spoon pack from Cadbury was irresistible enough to make me face reality.


The packaging on this is really adorable. I love the purple egg carton with it's four chocolate eggs nestled inside. As any parent will tell you, most kids are instantly attracted to cardboard boxes and my two children are no different - they were more interested in the cute purple carton than the actual chocolate! 


Just in case you weren't sure how to go about eating these eggs there is a handy guide on the side of the pack - 1. Peel. 2. Bite. 3. Spoon. So don't embarrass yourself by scoffing it any old way - use the spoon! But be prepared to fight for a spoon as there are only two little purple spoons included for the four eggs.


I love the simple brown and gold foil wrapping on each of the chocolate eggs. It's very simple but effective. Once unwrapped the chocolate eggs are very similar to a Cadbury Creme Egg but with an extra cracked zig zag design along the top, which enables step 2 of the instrutions - Bite!


These Egg 'n' Spoon are available in two choices of filling - milk chocolate and a white filling. It's actually quite hard to know what to call the filling, there are even different descriptions on the packaging itself; "a fluffy milky mousse centre" and "soft vanilla flavour mousse".


I would say it leans more towards a white chocolate mousse in terms of flavour, rather than simply a vanilla or milk filling. It has a super creamy taste that is just like a delicious sweet white chocolate. The filling is quite light and very airy. The outer chocolate is just what you would expect from a Cadbury Easter egg milk chocolate, creamy and very sweet. I was not expecting to like these very much but they were absolutely scrumptious. I found them much easier to eat than a Cadbury Creme Egg (they are sugary but not that sugary), and I loved the novelty value too. I will definitely be buying these Egg 'n' Spoon again... only next time a bit closer to Easter!

A quick note on price: many places are selling these for £3.99 but they are currently on offer in Superdrug and Iceland for the much more reasonable price of £2.50.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Cadbury Egg 'n' Spoon (Vanilla)

RATING: 8 out of 10
Buy them again?: I'm hoping the Easter Bunny will bring me some more.
Nutrition (per egg): 195 calories,
2.4g protein,  16.5g carbohydrate (16.5g sugars), 13g fat.
Purchased: Superdrug.
Price: £2.50.



26 comments:

  1. Haven't seen the white vanilla mousse one yet! Can't wait to try this one out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always go for vanilla or white chocolate - I have a very sweet tooth lol. I can't wait to try the chocolate mousse one now :)

      Delete
  2. £3.99 in Morrisons - so expensive that I didn't buy them even though I really wanted to.

    Also I wish the chocolate was Dairy Milk and not Cadburys standard cheaper version which has a more sugary taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't pay £3.99 either, that's just way too expensive, even though the box is lovely. I thought £2.50 was a good deal but I suspect it might be possible to find them for even cheaper soon.

      I love Dairy Milk too so I agree with you about that!

      Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  3. Oooh I can't wait to find these. Superdrug here I come :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually against the buying of Easter eggs this early but I couldn't wait to try these either!
      Let me know if you try them :)

      Delete
  4. I love these! Stupidly I bought a pack in Superdrug in London for £4.50!! I have subsequently found them in Iceland for £2 and have stocked up in case of a nuclear attack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha love it! I hope your "nuclear attack" chocolate stockpile lasts at least until Easter :D

      But seriously £2 is a very good deal for these (at the moment at least). I will have to get to Iceland and buy a few more packs myself.

      Delete
  5. £3.99 - a pound each for these tiny things is mental!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't pay that either, it's worth shopping around for these!

      Delete
  6. I got them for under £2 in our local One Stop tonight. Well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that's the best yet! I wonder if anyone can find them cheaper??

      Delete
  7. hey i managed to get these scrumptious little eggs 2 boxes for £2!!!!
    i was soo happy i got 10 boxes somehow i think that 2 for £2 deal is not gonna hop out soon enough
    lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is a fantastic deal! Please let me know where you found that offer as I would definitely pick up a few more boxes at that price - thank you! Which one is your favourite - the chocolate centre or the vanilla?

      Delete
  8. These are £2 in Morrisons now so I finally bought some. They're amazingly delicious, I didn't expect them to be so nice! I agree with you about the white chocolate flavour Katherine, they're like a cross between white choc and vanilla. Will definitely be buying again, here's hoping they get reduced in price even more after Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good price Kev! The filling is just delicious isn't it, much nicer than I thought it would be!

      Delete
  9. £1.50 in tescos at the moment! although sold out when I went in..doh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up Dan, that's a bargain! I hope I'll be able to find some at that price - I haven't bought any since this first pack and I need to get some for Easter :-)

      Delete
  10. I saw these this evening in my local little Tesco for £1.50 !!! First time i'd seen them anywhere!! They obviously felt the price before was too high (i've read some stuff online saying they were close to £4 before!!) They were much smaller than I was expecting but very cute and worth the price so bought 3. Kids will love them i'm sure!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. £1.50 is an excellent price for these. My Tesco is constantly out of stock and Superdrug/Iceland don't seem to have them anymore. They are very hard eggs to find!

      Delete
  11. seen the ads. love the idea. retweeted your giveaway as butterflytails, liked on fb as Sallie Guest xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know what all the fuss is about over these!! Thin chocolate with a cheap filling. I ve tasted better filling inside a supermarket value Victoria sponge. Seriously, save your money and buy more cream eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you try the vanilla ones or chocolate filled ones? Personally I think the vanilla ones are much nicer than Creme Eggs!

      Delete
  13. Haven't seen any of these in the states... are they only in UK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think there were only in the UK and some other European countries. Although they've already disappeared here too - hopefully they will be back next Easter!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...