14 Jan 2013

Take 5 Review - 5 Layer Bar



A big thank you to Hannah from The Review Addict blog who recently sent me two American chocolate bars to try - and they are two that I have always wanted to try. The first one is this yummy Take 5 bar, from Hersheys, which is made up of no less than five components: chocolate, pretzels, caramel, peanuts and peanut butter.


Sweet, salty, chewy, crunchy and... delicious (I somehow managed to cut the last word out of the pic!). I'm a fan of sweet and salty combinations, and I also like different textures in chocolate, so this all sounds like a winner to me.


The bar is described as a "2 bar pack" but it's more like one bar that has been provided in two portions. I've said before that I prefer this kind of presentation because it's easier to share or save a piece for later (neither of which I did on this occasion!).


The look of these bars really reminds me of the Rocky Chockas biscuits I reviewed a last week - although that is the only similarity they share.


The Take 5 is just the quintessential American bar in my eyes. It has two of the main flavours that I associate with American snacks - peanut butter and pretzels. Throwing them in with chocolate, caramel and even more peanuts just seems like such an American thing to do to - why hold back?


The five layers are all there; chocolate, then pretzels, a layer of peanut butter, topped off with caramel and peanuts and finished with more chocolate. There is a great balance between the sweet and salty combination. The saltiness in the peanut butter gives it an interesting edge without being overly salty and it helps bring out the delicious peanut flavour. The pretzel layer is quite dominant, there are literally whole pretzels inside this bar, which add a seriously crunchy texture. There isn't that much caramel or chewiness but it doesn't really need it anyway. Overall it's a fantastically different chocolate bar and one that deserves to be tried at least once!

Thank you again to Hannah at The Review Addict for sending me this awesome choc! 

Grocery Gems Verdict: Take 5

RATING: 8.5 out of 10
Buy them again?: Without a doubt.
Nutrition per bar: 200 calories
, 4g protein, 25g carbohydrate (18g sugars), 11g fat.
Purchased: A lovely gift from Hannah!
Price: Find them at Cybercandy for £1.39


3 comments:

  1. Take 5 is my favourite American bar- like you, I was very impressed.

    It's so radically different to what we have on offer here and really reflects the different tastes of the U.S and U.K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I'm in the American imports shop I'm gonna pick up one of these, they look delicious. I love peanut butter, pretzels and chocolate so putting them all together sounds even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the mention and I am really glad you liked the Take 5, I thought you might.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...