30 Jan 2013

Walkers Deep Ridged Chilli Beef Review


Thank you to @baobaogeek from the A Simple Geeky Life blog who tweeted me a pic of these new Chilli Beef crisps. The Walkers Deep Ridged range must be doing extremely well for Walkers to bring out a new flavour so soon after the initial release. I have already reviewed the original flavours in the range; Flame Grilled Steak, Sea Salt & Malt Vinegar, and Mature Cheddar & Onion, with the Flame Grilled Steak being my hands down favourite. Check out that review for my thoughts on the range in general.


The Deep Ridged crisps are very aptly named and the mountain range picture on the front of the pack is not a joke - these are impressively ridged crisps. Each vast ridge is packed full of visible flavouring, undoubtedly one of the main reasons why these crisps have been so popular. Chilli Beef seems like quite an unusual flavour choice, the rest of the range is certainly more mainstream. When I think of Chilli Beef, I think of either a chilli con carne type dish, or a Chinese dish made with fried strips of steak.


The Walkers Chilli Beef crisps are not really like either of those dishes. They have their own flavour, which all the testers here (hubby and kids!) agreed was very tasty. There were lots of different herbs and spices at play, but I could especially taste the cumin alongside a sweet chilli. There was a general meaty flavour but it wasn't particularly "beefy". The crisps are actually vegetarian (and vegan too as far as I can tell) but I think fans of meaty crisps will still enjoy the flavour here.

The chilli flavour is quite earthy and sweet, and even though there is a very slight chilli burn that does build, they was no real heat at all. I should know as I'm a complete wimp when it comes to chilli heat, and these were absolutely fine for me. Overall I enjoyed this new flavour, it's a little bit different to a usual beef flavour for crisps. The Deep Ridged range are all extremely delicious and I think this Chilli Beef makes a great addition to the range, however the Flame Grilled Steak remains my favourite!

Grocery Gems Verdict: Walkers Deep Ridged Chilli Beef

RATING: 7.5 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Yes.
Nutrition (large 50g bag): 260 calories, 3.3g protein, 26.0g carb (0.9g sugars), 15.4g fat.
Purchased: Local newsagents.
Price: £0.50p 

3 comments:

  1. :D Hmmm, I think I would have preferred more chilli in mine. But definitely agree it has a not so strong beefy taste.
    Must find the flamed grilled steak flavour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think chilli fans will be disappointed by the lack of heat! Although they are still very tasty ;-)

      Delete
  2. These are far too thin, there's not much point in them being ridged.

    McCoys still wins for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...