27 Jan 2013

Random Review Roundup 2

A few months ago I did a Random Review Roundup featuring lots of new products that I had bought but never got around to reviewing, either because I didn't take enough photos or I just plain forgot. So here is another chance for some unloved products to get their mini moment of glory:


Shape Delights Vanilla & Chocolate: A low calorie yogurt with a simple vanilla flavour and added dark chocolate sprinkles. The artificial sweetener aftertaste is quite strong. 6 out of 10.


Kettle Tortilla Chips- Cool Sour Cream: These were so good that they were all eaten before I could take any decent photos. A great alternative to Doritos. The Cool Sour Cream variety have a very similar flavour to Doritos Cool Original, but without the MSG. 9 out of 10.


Kellogg's All-Bran Chocolate Crunch: Anyone want to read my fascinating review all about All-Bran Chocolate Crunch?? No - I thought not. 7 out of 10.


Kooks Vegetable & Rice Snacks: These were worth a review but unfortunately my photos were quite dire. It was hard to capture the cuteness of the characters on the packets. They reminded me of the LocoRoco computer game. A healthier alternative to crisps, with less salt, less fat and high in fibre. If you see them buy them. 8 out of 10.


Mila: Looking at this is bringing back some horrible memories. Have you ever taken one bite of a snack and spat it straight out again? Well that's exactly the effect the Mila had on me. I thought this would make a cute Christmas review with it's tinsel and baubles picture on the front, alongside a cappuccino. What flavour could this possibly be? I asked myself. Surely not tinsel and bauble flavour. Hahahaha. Well the joke is on me. Turns out it was sour milk and vomit flavour. 0 out of 10.

*Updated to add - it seems I may have purchased a bad Mila, please see comments section below in which Jeremy, from Milk and Spoon compares the cream flavour to a Kinder Maxi King - now that sounds much nicer!*


Haribo Christmas range 2012: These Merry Snowmen, Jolly Santas, and Stars all look very cute. As with a lot of Christmas junk food, these are still sitting in the cupboard. One day Haribo, one day.



Ritter Sport Butter Biscuit:  A buttery biscuit surrounded by a thick layer of alpine milk chocolate. What's not to love? It's more of a thickly covered biscuit rather than a chocolate bar but it's delicious nonetheless. 8.5 out of 10.



Snowy Puffs: I bought these in a discount store and I don't think they even exist anymore. Probably because the meringue balls do not taste very good at all, they're too hard and crunchy. At least it wasn't a repeat of the Party Puffs fiasco. 4 out of 10.


Calin + Vanilla: A creamy yogurt with a delicious sweet vanilla flavour. With added calcium and vitamin D, it's a good choice for reluctant milk drinkers. 8 out of 10.


Pumpkin Pie from Whole Foods: It turns out that my eldest son loves pumpkin pie. Who knew? This pie was so delicious, and the whole family loved it so much, that I even baked a homemade pumpkin pie a few weeks later. My son said he wants the Whole Foods one again next time. 9 out of 10.


The Pantry Chocolate Bread (Aldi): I thought this was quite an interesting product. It came with a foil tray and a basic bread mix which only needed a few wet ingredients to be added (eggs and milk) and then left to rise. The finished product was quite disappointing, very stodgy and with not much flavour. 4 out of 10.


Kit Kat Extra Crispy: Made by Hershey's in the US and obviously similar to our very own Kit Kat Chunky but with some big differences. The chocolate is much thinner (surely the main joy of a Kit Kat Chunky is the super thick chocolate coating!) and is nowhere near as tasty. There are also even more layers of wafer here, making these taste like a rather boring wafer biscuit. 5 out of 10.

I hope you enjoyed this Random Review Roundup and, due to my shopoholic ways, I am sure there will be a few more to come.

17 comments:

  1. I love these roundups!

    Sour milk and vomit flavour made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a great round up. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heheh, sour and vomit flavour made me laugh too! :)
    Kit Kat extra crispy sounds great :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this round up too! I always buy Shape over Activia, much lower sugars. I'm really curious now, want to know what that Mila really tastes like, at first I didn't understand, I originally thought it was Milka!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'll call it the Sedita Mila from now on then! So here's a bit more about it:

      The Sedita Mila is a Slovakian import which I found in a Polish grocery store. It's described as "crispy wafers with a cream filling, half-covered in chocolate coating". As soon as I opened it up there was a horrible sour milk sort of smell. I checked the "best before" date but that was fine. Against my better judgement I took a bite. Yep. Sour milk. Not in a yogurt way. In a "gone off" way. Let's not mention the vomit taste.

      Perhaps I had a bad batch of this, or it had been stored incorrectly. If anyone else has tried it and has a different opinion then please let me know!

      Delete
  5. Loving the review round up too. I really enjoyed the Kettle Chips when I tried them and will now be avoiding Mila at all costs!
    I really want to get round to trying to some pumpkin pie, it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah! lol at avoiding Mila!!

      You should definitely try some pumpkin pie one day. They have a very warming flavour, with lots of cinnamon and nutmeg. It's unusual but still delicious.

      Delete
  6. OOh those sour cream crisps look nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are good. I might have to get another bag and do a proper review ;-)

      Delete
  7. Mila looks like the exact kind of bar I'd grab and be so excited to try, with the kitschy art and promise of cream inside...Glad to know to avoid that one, unless I get a particularly strange craving someday, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was totally swayed by the packaging, kitschy is a great word for it! I do want someone else to give it a try to see if it really is THAT bad so if you do see it... I'd like to think I just had a bad batch Thanks for the comment! :D

      Delete
  8. Wow, great roundup :) Nice to know to avoid the Mila bar in future..I'm sure I've seen it a few times in the Polish shop and been mildly curious. I rolled my eyes at the "snowy puffs". I swear xmas products get more ridiculous every year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there I'd just had the Mila: i didn't get the sour notes at all, and in fact thought the cream layers reminded me of Kinder's Maxi King. Perhaps yours arrived at the store in bad shape? I noted that the wafers on mine were crunchy and delicate too. Perhaps the Polish store here in Oxford has particularly good suppliers!

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Jeremy, I expected as much (see my reply to Adrian's comment above!). My one tasted nothing like the cream in a Kinder Maxi King - I love those. It really had an awful sour taste. Was your Mila the one with the Christmas picture on it too? Mine certainy didn't look damaged in any obvious way but it sounds as if something quite unfortunate must have happened to it. I dread to think really.

      In the interests of fairness I will have to hunt down another Mila to try. I've also added a note about your comment in my review.

      Thanks again!
      Katherine

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...