28 Jan 2014

Review: New Alpen Trail Bars Fruits & Nuts


I seem to review cereal bars almost as often as yogurts! This new one from Alpen stood out to me because of the name "Trail Bars". The concept of a "trail mix" seems to be becoming more and more popular in the UK. It was only recently that my kids asked me to make them some trail mix after they saw Rigby enjoying some on an episode of Regular Show! Anyway, these new Alpen Trail Bars come in three varieties; Fruits & Nuts, Big Berries, and Chunky Nuts. I found the Fruits & Nuts variety in my local Tesco.


There are three Trail Bars in each multipack box (these are currently on offer for £1.50 in Tesco). I was quite surprised when I realised there was only three in the box, but these bars are very big, almost double the size of my usual cereal bars. They're described as high energy bars to help keep you going. So definitely more for say... sustenance on a long hiking trip or after some long distance running... rather than when sitting at your desk with a cup of coffee for a sugary rush. *ahem*


The flavours are all very good here, the oats are flavourful, the hazelnuts and almonds are crunchy, whilst the raisins are sweet and plump. All the ingredients work well together but, what with the sugary syrup that holds the bar together and the abundant raisins, I found the whole thing too sweet for me. I think I would prefer the Chunky Nuts version of this bar without all the added raisins. Having said that I did enjoy eating my bar with a strong cup of coffee and it's a very satisfying and filling snack.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Alpen Trail Bars Fruits & Nuts

RATING: 7.5 out of 10.
Buy them again?: I'd try the other varieties too.
Nutrition: 185 calories (48g bar). 
Vegetarian: Yes.
Purchased: Tesco. 
Price: £1.50  for a three pack (offer price).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...