27 Aug 2013

Around the World - Sweden: Plopp Chocolate Bar


Plopp is a very popular soft toffee centred milk chocolate bar from Sweden, and one that I've always wanted to try - although I'll admit it's purely because of the funny name. To British ears this is probably one of the worst names for a chocolate - I'm sure no one wants to have the word plop in mind when they're eating a chocolate bar.


Plopp is made by a Swedish confectionery company called Cloetta, and I would guess that the distinctive packaging and fun design on the chocolate itself, has remained unchanged for quite some time. Please leave a comment below if you know any more about this.


Once we'd all finished having a good ol' laugh about the name (juvenile I know), we found that the chocolate bar itself is very tasty. The outer chocolate has a sweet edge and decent enough flavour. The inner soft toffee has a very unique and moreish taste, with added vanilla in there too. It's quite sugary but still utterly delicious. The sweet centre would probably get a bit cloying after a while, but since everyone in my family loved the flavour, I shared them out and found that a couple of pieces was more than enough to satisfy my sweet tooth.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Plopp

RATING: 8 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Yes!
Nutrition (50g)
235 calories.
Purchased: I won them in a competition, but they're available from import stores.
Price: Usually around £1.35p for 50g bar.




12 comments:

  1. Lol at this bar. I remember it being featured years ago on the Graham Norton show amongst other amusingly names chocolate bars.

    I've tried a bar from the Cloetta brand before called "Center" which had a hazelnut flavoured caramel , and it was very delicious as I recall. I found it in home bargains but have never seem them since. Seems like Cloetta make good chocolates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried the Cloetta Center aswell, although the one I had was a tube of little individual chocolates a bit like Rolos. They sell them in Tiger Stores (quite a few of those around London).

      Delete
  2. This is one of my fave sweets to buy when I visit Sweden on holiday. I had a coffee flavoured Plopp a few years ago, but not seen it since, which is a pity as it was really nice (and I'm not a fan of coffee flavoured sweets). There is also a strawberry one, but I haven't tried it.

    Chocolate seems a bit more expensive over there, most bars this size sell for about 70-80p. The 'Dairy Milk' equivalent over in Sweden is made by Marabou, and is really nice and come with a few variations, with hazelnut pieces, dark chocolate, orange flavoured, with Daim bits, etc. Ikea used to sell a lot of the Marabou bars, not anymore it's their own brand chocolate now. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liv, thanks so much for your comment and all the info regarding Swedish chocolates. :)

      I can see why the Plopp is one your favourites. I would certainly stock up if I was visiting Sweden! I'd love to try some of the other flavours too. I'm not a fan of coffee in chocolates either, but I've found that it often works well when it's combined with a caramel, so I can imagine a coffee Plopp would taste delicious (that sounds so wrong lol).

      It's a shame about Ikea only stocking their own brand now, I'm pretty sure I bought the Marabou from them in previous years. I loved the Daim one!

      Delete
  3. yummy, i like chocolate so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like a good Plop ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're talking about the chocolate bar! :)

      Delete
  5. I do love Cloetta chocolate in Sweden, always end up bringing loads home in my suitcase every time I go! It was always good to buy the Marabou chocolate in IKEA until they stopped selling real Swedish foods, the chocolate they sell now is actually made in Germany! Tut tut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look out for more from Cloetta then! I did really like this Plopp bar so it would be interesting to try out some different products.

      It's a shame about Ikea, I don't really bother with their food section anymore since they stopped selling real Swedish brands. I used to love going there to pick up a few treats!

      Delete
  6. Forgot to add, next time I am in Sweden I shall bring some chocolate over for you to try and review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...