20 Aug 2013

Boursin Cheeses Review


I was recently sent a selection of delicious cheeses from Boursin; Garlic & Herbs, Sun Ripened Tomato, Onion & Chive, and Black Pepper. I've always been a fan of the Garlic & Herbs Boursin cheese but I have to admit I hadn't realised it was available in other flavours. It seems that when it comes to cheese I'm not my usual new-spotting self, preferring to keep to my trusty favourite variety.


The original and most popular Boursin flavour is the classic Garlic & Herbs. It has a superbly creamy flavour coupled with a slightly crumbly texture. The garlic is light and fresh tasting, and is not overpowering at all. It's one of my favourite cheeses for serving simply with some crusty bread.


The Sun Ripened Tomato, Onion & Chive flavour was a revelation to me. I'm not sure why I've never tried this cheese before but it's a fantastic combination. The tomato and onion flavours are so fresh tasting and give this crumbly cheese an innovative twist. My children absolutely loved it too, they said it was a bit like a pizza flavoured cheese!


Lastly, but my new favourite, is this Black Pepper flavour. I love black pepper so once again I have no idea why I haven't tried this cheese before, but I'm so glad to now be introduced to it. There is a generous amount of full flavoured black pepper throughout the soft cheese. It's got a fantastic kick to it, but the peppery flavour is perfectly balanced by the creamy cheese, creating a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

Boursin has joined together with Lisa Faulkner to create a summer recipe collection using all of these cheeses. Recipes can be found online and include;

Garlic & Herb Chicken Ballotine, 
Tomato, Onion, Chive & Leek Tart,
Wild Musroom Tagliatelle with Garlic & Herb Sauce,
Black Pepper Hotcakes,
and Baked Salmon Fillets with Fennel, Tomato, Onion & Chive.

I have to admit I've never used soft cheeses in my cooking, always preferring to enjoy it on crackers or bread, but these recipes have given me some new inspiration!

I received this product from their PR representatives in order to write an honest review and all opinions expressed are my own. 

Grocery Gems Verdict: Boursin

RATING: Garlic & Herbs - 10 out of 10, Sun Ripened Tomato, Onion & Chive - 9 out of 10. Black Pepper - 10 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Absolutely.
Nutrition: 406 calories per 100g. 
Purchased: Available at most supermarkets.
Price: £2.35p for 150g.

7 comments:

  1. Mmmmm.... I love Boursin, as you say it's just fabulous on it's own with bread or crackers. It can be used in recipes and I have used it (stuffed chicken breasts with it) which was delicious but I definitely prefer to enjoy it simply with the aforementioned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooooh stuffed chicken breasts sound delicious - I'll have to give that a go! Thanks for the recommendation :)

      Delete
    2. Once stuffed, wrap in bacon... it is absolutely delicious and very filling too! Inevitably some of the filling leaks out during cooking which I pour on top once served up on a plate. But as I said Boursin is of such a quality that it is great simply on it's own with bread or crackers!

      Delete
    3. Sounds very simple to do and very yummy - thanks Jo!

      Delete
  2. I only buy the garlic and herbs one too - nice to know it's available in other flavours! I've used it to make cheesy mushroom meals before which it works perfectly with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I'm sure this would be delicious with mushrooms. Thanks Kev!

      Delete
  3. I love them all, great run through fresh pasta!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...