4 Aug 2013

Limited Edition Cadbury Cherry Ripe Burst (Australia)


I picked up this Limited Edition Cherry Ripe Burst from the CyberCandy stall at HyperJapan last weekend. I've always wanted to try the Cherry Ripe bar, not just because of it's a cherry and coconut filling, but mainly to figure out why this has been Australia's most popular chocolate bar for years.


A standard Cadbury Cherry Ripe bar consists of a cherry flavoured coconut filling wrapped in dark chocolate. The Limited Edition Cherry Ripe Burst is quite similar but has the bonus of an extra cherry layer.


It's a slightly weird fact that even though I love coconut I really don't like Bounty chocolate bars at all. This is mainly due to the sugary nature and soggy texture of the Bounty filling, It just doesn't do anything for me at all. I much prefer coconut when it's used just as a flavour. The only reason that I mention that is because, even though the Cherry Ripe Burst has a very similar filling to a Bounty, it's an infinitely more enjoyable chocolate bar.


The cherry and coconut combination here is sweet and delicious. The extra jam-like cherry layer not only gives an extra burst of fruity flavour, which is very welcome, it also helps to curb the dreaded Bounty like texture. Meanwhile, the outer dark chocolate coating, whilst being quite thin, complements the coconut and cherry flavours perfectly with it's sweetly dark flavour. 

It's certainly a lovely tasting bar to eat in the summer. I had kept mine in the fridge (not something I usually do with chocolate) and it was absolutely delicious when eaten slightly cold. The whole thing is about a million times nicer than I thought it would be when faced with the description, and I can understand now why it's been such a popular bar in Australia. It's definitely a bar I would want to buy again in the future.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Cadbury Cherry Ripe Burst

RATING: 8.5 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Yes.
Purchased: Available from CyberCandy. 

Nutrition: 230 calories.
Price: £1.89.



6 comments:

  1. Cherry Ripe is one of my favourite bars. It's a strange one that is for sure but it just works! I love the sound of the extra layer in this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would love this one Hannah! I'm going to have to try the regular Cherry Ripe soon :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds lovely - love the idea of the fruity layer! I think Bounty should try a flavour like that in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I think the UK lacks a certain amount of flavour innovation - we tend to just get the same formula repackaged over and over. I think a Cherry Bounty and a 'Pina Colada' type would be fantastic (and I certainly wouldn't say no to trying a coconut-lime offering too!).

      Delete
  3. This sounds so incredibly delicious! Next time that I go to my local import shop I will have to scout out this yummy looking bar
    Is it like a Ruffle bar

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote to Cherry Ripe asking them to bring this back.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...