10 Oct 2013

Review: GreenVale Farm Fresh Potatoes


Yay it's National Potato Week! Although in my house we don't need a special week in order to celebrate the humble spud. I love potatoes. I would eat a jacket potato with chips, and some extra mash on the side if I could get away with it. Well maybe that's an exaggeration, but I seriously do love potatoes. Despite that, I have to admit I usually play safe and just buy a bag of "white potatoes" in the supermarket, so it was lovely to be asked to review a higher class of potato.

These GreenVale Farm Fresh are from the Jelly variety of potatoes, a variety which produces smooth skinned, oval shaped potatoes with a yellow flesh. They are an all-rounder that can be used for roast potatoes, chips, boiled, baked, mashed - making them perfect for all your potato needs.


The bag I was sent (it was quite funny to get a box in the post that contained a bag of potatoes), was full of large oval shaped potatoes, the type that look ideal for a baked potato, so it was easy to decide what to make with these. I used the GreenVale Farm Fresh Baked Beauties recipe (see HERE), which very simply calls for a sprinkling of paprika on the skin to give a bit of added smokiness. The results were absolutely perfect. The insides have a noticeably yellow colouring, so they looked completely golden and inviting. The potato was very smooth in texture with a naturally buttery and creamy flavour. Everyone commented on how delicious their potatoes tasted, and not a scrap was leftover! The deliciously creamy flavour within, makes these potatoes really quite special.

I also like the fact that the GreenVale Farm Fresh Potatoes come in old style paper sacks (see first photo), rather than the horrendous plastic sacks that a lot of supermarket potatoes come in. The paper sacks are not just more environmentally friendly, they will also keep the potatoes fresher for longer.

I was sent this product in order to write an honest review and all opinions are my own.

Grocery Gems Verdict: GreenVale Farm Fresh Potatoes 

RATING: 10 out of 10 - I can't fault these potatoes at all.
Buy them again?: Yes.

Purchased: Available at Tesco and Booths.
Price: £2.50 for 2kg.


3 comments:

  1. I like the packaging - it would definitely stand out in a supermarket against the plastic wrapped potatoes. There's something quite nice and traditional about the paper that appeals to me.

    I'm curious as to how these hold up to mashing - I like something that gets nice and fluffy without disintergrating. I make meals like Shepherds Pie and Sausage & Mash in the winter and last years King Edwards were a disappointment - I ended up moving on to Morrisons 'Red' potatoes, which I think were a Desiree type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting because that's what I enjoyed about these as baked potatoes. They held their shape and were quite firm, whilst still fluffy and not too soft. I think they would be worth a try for mashing. The yellowish colour would make a lovely topping too.

      I'll definitely be buying these in the future so I'll update on here if I try them mashed :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply :) Your experience with their texture baked does sound quite promising for mashing them. If I get there first, I'll let you know how they go! (Still a few weeks off it being cold enough for me to get to 'mashed potato' weather!)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...