26 Jan 2013

New Kellogg's Strawberry Rice Krispies Multi-Grain Shapes


Strawberry seems to be the new go-to flavour for cereal makers. There have been lots of new strawberry cereals in the last year; Curiously Strawberry (the fruity version of Curiously Cinnamon), Weetabix Minis Strawberry and even supermarket own brands, such as Strawberry Squares from Sainsbury's. Kellogg's Rice Krispies Multi-grain Shapes, the perennial kids favourite, is the latest cereal to get a strawberry makeover.


It might not seem the most exciting of flavours but my kids were certainly very keen to try them. They are already fans of the original Multi-grain Shapes, which are fairly simple in terms of flavour. The shapes have always struck me as being quite strange - a Christmas tree, a stickman figure, a star and a fish. So random, but then again, I'm sure it took many kid based focus groups to settle on those four shapes!


In this strawberry version the shapes have a pinkish colouring. They smell strongly of sweet strawberry, similar to that of a sugary strawberry milkshake. The overall taste is very similar to the regular Multi-grain Shapes. The added strawberry is delicious but quite light and is made with natural strawberry flavourings. It doesn't make the milk turn strawberry or overpower the rest of the flavours. I'm sure that most kids will absolutely love them, mine certainly did. I only eat cereal as a snack (without milk) and I thought they were very tasty, not too sugary, and extremely moreish.

They are full of the usual added fibre, wholegrain and vitamins that you would expect in a cereal aimed at children. Although they don't seem to contain the added prebiotic cultures that the original Rice Krispies Multi-grain Shapes used to have. *Update* My mistake these do contain prebiotic, they just no longer advertise the fact on the box.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Rice Krispies Multi-Grain Shapes Strawberry

RATING: 8.5 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Kids say... yes.
Nutrition (30g serving with milk): 175 calories, 7g protein, 29g carb (11g sugars), 3g fat.
Purchased: Sainsbury's.
Price: £2.00 (on special offer, usual price £2.79).


5 comments:

  1. I can't believe the number of cereals out there nowadays, and strawberry flavoured cereal is definitely not my thing but I'm sure they appeal to kids - that's the idea behind them I guess so all good!

    Personally, i'm quite plain when it comes to cereals - i love my muesli, crunchy nut cornflakes and cheerios basically!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny little story i thought i'd share with you all actually..... the children call my mum Nanny Cheerio :oD as she loves her huge (and i mean HUGE) bowl of Cheerios every morning! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so sweet, what a cute nickname! It also makers her sound like a "cheery" Nanny too which is good! :D . I'm trying to imagine just how BIG that bowl of Cheerios must be lol!

      About the simple cereals, I'm the same really, but even more boring. I usually stick to porridge or bran flakes. The kids usually have Ready Brek or porridge on weekdays. But then we do like to try the odd crazy cereal too!

      Delete
  3. I do like to try a variety of cereal flavours but I just can't understand the strawberry craze these days. Sure I like it in yoghurt but as a cereal flavour just seems odd. A little disappointing the lack of pre-biotic, but what's odd, I couldn't find any information about pre-biotic in their original recipe, has it been removed!?
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am genuinely thankful to the holder of this web site who has shared this enormous paragraph at at this time.


    Also visit my homepage :: tedxyse.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...