7 Mar 2013

Alpen Light Lemon Drizzle with Yogurt Cereal Bars


I can't quite believe this is my first Alpen Light review because it's a brand that has become a staple in my cupboards. Even though lemon drizzle is quite a simple flavour, it's a very unusual one for a cereal bar. The packaging for the Alpen Light Lemon Drizzle with Yogurt looks very bright and sunny with it's vivid blue and yellow colouring. It makes me think of summer and sunshine - despite the snowy mountain range in the background!


I liked the idea of a lemon drizzle cereal bar but I was slightly worried about the lemon pieces. I like lemon as a flavour, and I certainly enjoy the occasional lemon drizzle cake, but candied lemon peel is not something I usually like. Fortunately (and despite the picture on the packaging), the description on the box tells me that these bars are actually made with apple pieces flavoured with lemon juice. It's a lemon peel free zone!


Each box contains five cereal bars which have only 70 calories apiece. Well, at least I think it's 70 because that's what the front of the box says. The nutritional information on the back of the box actually says 62 calories.  I'm guessing the "70 calories" tag is used across the Alpen Light range regardless of the actual amount of calories.


Once the wrapper was removed I could immediately smell the zesty lemon - this is one product that lives up to it's named flavour. The bar itself is held together quite lightly, it's not dense or overly chewy like some cereal bars. The overall texture is quite soft but they don't crumble or fall apart easily. The bar is covered with a yogurt drizzle that adds a little bit of extra sweetness and creaminess. The lemon, or rather "apple masquerading as lemon", fruit pieces are evenly spaced throughout the bar. Using apple as the base to carry the lemon flavour results in a sweet but tangy zestiness. At first it seems a bit odd to taste lemon in a cereal bar, but as the sugary flavours of the cereals start to blend with the lemon, it creates a very appealing combination. Considering the low calories in these bars, they are a tasty treat that will easily satisfy the urge for a sweet snack.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Alpen Light Lemon Drizzle with Yogurt

RATING: 7 out of 10
Buy them again?: Yes.
Nutrition (per bar): 70 or is it 62 calories? 
0.8g protein, 10.8g carbs (4.1g sugars), 0.8g fat.
Purchased: Asda.
Price: £1.00. 

2 comments:

  1. Great review! Can't wait to try these, such a unique flavour, but a little odd they're apple pieces. I can't imagine these being the most filling of bars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adrian! You're right about the filling aspect, they're quite small bars and only provide 4 or 5 bites at most. However I do find them quite satisfying as a snack. I think because they are very sweet! Katherine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...