7 Dec 2012

Knoppers Review (Chocolate & Hazelnut Wafer)



I'm always on the lookout for chocolates from chocitout's 10 Foreign Chocolate Bars 002 video. I've tried a few already but I was pleased to find this little Knoppers in a local Polish grocery store/cafe. Let's just cut to the chase and address the glaringly hilarious feature about this chocolate: the name Knoppers. I almost tweeted "I've got some Knoppers!" when I first found it, but I managed to restrain myself. Yes, there are plenty of gags to be made here but putting those reluctantly aside, I would just love to know what the word Knoppers means. If there is anyone who can translate I would be most grateful. Google translate comes up with the helpful translation of  "Knoppers" to "Knoppers". Thanks Google.



Knoppers is a wafer biscuit which cost me the unprincely sum of 40p. If that's the price when the import costs are factored in then I can just imagine how cheap these are in Poland!


I wasn't expecting much from the Knoppers wafer, in fact I very rarely buy wafers (unless they are covered in chocolate) as they usually taste like a cross between cardboard and polystyrene. But I have to admit that as soon as I took the Knoppers out (haha!) it looked and smelt fantastic.



I mean seriously, look at those layers. It's a thing of beauty! Rarely has a product looked exactly like the picture on the wrapper, it really does look that good. All the layers are perfectly delineated.


The taste is also phenomenal. Call me crazy but I bloody loved this Knoppers! The wafer has a lovely crunch with a buttery melt and vanilla undertones. Then there is a hazelnut filling, which is where the Knoppers really excels, it has a deliciously rich nutty chocolate flavour. The little pieces of nut within it have a great texture, they are all nice and crunchy, making the overall hazelnut flavour divine. The "milk" layer is super sweet and creamy, and blends with the other flavours perfectly. I was not expecting this to taste so good at all!


It's just like the outer layers of a Ferrerro Rocher, with an extra layer of creamy chocolate and a much nicer wafer flavour, have been formed into a perfect square.


If you ever see a Knopper don't hesitate in buying it - it's the best 40p I've spent in a long time! Thank you to Marcus @chocitout for his fabulous chocolate list.


12 comments:

  1. So you found the legendary Knoppers at last ;)
    It sounds surprisingly delicious, and what a bargain at 40p! I'm still yet to try one but you've convinced me to now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably more a case of just noticing them. I have now seen them in quite a few different shops, usually of the small local variety.

      I hope you find some soon, they are worth a try!

      Delete
    2. I'm Like you . I found these cookies in an off brand grocery store and they are fabulous!!!! Now they don't sell them anymore and I'm sad lol I can buy from amazon but the price is 14usd but the shipping and handling charge is double the price! Uhgggg lol

      Delete
    3. I'm Like you . I found these cookies in an off brand grocery store and they are fabulous!!!! Now they don't sell them anymore and I'm sad lol I can buy from amazon but the price is 14usd but the shipping and handling charge is double the price! Uhgggg lol

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the mention! I love the fact that you have chalked off nearly the whole list...It means I've really got to do some work to clobber together a Part 3 to this little series...

    I totally agree that it is rare for a choc to look so similar to the artwork on the wrapper, but you're right that this one really hits the mark. And I was also very pleasantly surprised with this - it was lovely. I enjoyed the dry wafer hit becoming encased in a smooth and moist cream and chocolate and the hazelnut flavour was just right.

    A great review, great pictures and a great find for one of the weirdest named bars I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really enjoyed writing this review, I kept giggling all the time :)

      Haha I'm sure Part 3 will be a real challenge. I don't know if I will ever manage 10 out of 10, there are always a few elusive chocs!

      Delete
  3. Here in the Netherlands you can buy them for less than a euro per dozen. They're a bit too sweet for my taste though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Euro per dozen!! I was ripped off then at 40p :D

      Thanks for the info though, that is very interesting. I can see what you mean about the sweetness. I actually only ate half (my husband ate the other piece) which I felt was a perfect amount.

      Delete
    2. Haha, well I guess the fun of buying imported products is worth a little bit of extra money. I pay a lot for stuff from the UK and the US, just because the expense of the airmail shipping :)

      Delete
  4. Knoppers are just superb, found them in Austria at M Pries and Spar. These are just as Grocery Gems describes but better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you seriously got Knoppers at a Euro a dozen? What were they like outdated and on the "special sale" shelf?
    Knoppers is the best thing since air.
    Duplo and Hanuta are also on my fav list. I never tried the Attack candy you have listed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought these in Amsterdam last week and they were under €0.80 for a pack of 6. I bought them in Albert Heijn which is a Dutch chain of supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...