15 Jul 2014

Review: Tango Jaffa Cakes


There are so many branded Tango grocery products about at the moment, from shower gels to freezable ice pops. I'm aware that Tango is a very popular drink amongst some of the youngsters that I know, especially the teenagers, so are these products designed to appeal to the younger market? Whatever the reason for the sudden Tango popularity, even I couldn't resist picking up the new Tango Jaffa Cakes when I spotted them a few days ago. 


Inside the box, the Tango Jaffa Cakes are safely presented in a little plastic tray. There are 24 Jaffa Cakes in each box.


The box promises a tangy Tango orange filling, emphasised with a tagline "will the Tangy Orange get ya?", so I was expecting the filling in these to be a bit different from ordinary Jaffa Cakes. However, that was the wrong assumption to make. These are very plain orange flavoured Jaffa Cakes, and not even very good ones at that. The filling is a sweet and fairly bland orange, whilst the chocolate coating is very thin. But my main gripe here is the sponge part of the cake, it's too dry and crumbly and just ends up tasting quite stale. There are plenty of cheaper store branded Jaffa Cakes around that are excellent (I love the Aldi ones especially), and these Tango Jaffa Cakes are nowhere near as good. 


And now a little rant about Jaffa Cakes... Jaffa Cakes are one of my favourite biscuits/cakes and I'd really like to see some more interesting flavours available, like peach or mango. I remember when there were Strawberry Jaffa Cakes and Blackcurrant Jaffa Cakes but now we're lucky to get the occasionally Halloween themed Lemon/Lime variety. The M&S Passionfruit & Peach Jaffa Cakes I tried earlier in the year were disappointing flavourwise and not that different from orange Jaffa Cakes. I've also tried some different brands purchased from Polish shops, including the Milka ChocoJaffa which were raspberry flavoured. I didn't even bother reviewing those because they tasted horrendous - stale and horrible. I suspect I got a dud packet that hadn't been stored properly. (I know there is a Polish brand called Delicje that has very good reviews and I've been keeping my eye out for their Cherry Jaffa Cakes). If McVities can make Tropical and Berry flavoured Jaffa Cake Mini Rolls then surely they can put those flavours into actual Jaffa Cakes? Here's hoping!

Grocery Gems Verdict: Tango Jaffa Cakes:

Rating: 4 out of 10. 
Buy Again: No. 
Purchased: 99p Stores.
Price: £0.99p.

13 comments:

  1. Such a shame that most Jaffa Cake varieties are disappointing despite being one of the best cakes/biscuits around. I remember when McVitiee's used to do fully coated ones years ago - loved those!

    I'd definitely recommend Delicje, I believe they do some white chocolate coated raspberry flavour jaffas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame that McVities don't do more flavours. I suppose they tested the waters and the new flavours were not that popular? Still, it's definitely time to try again!

      I like the idea of a white chocolate Jaffa Cake! I'll look out for those too :)

      Delete
    2. I think they may have done some raspberry ones years ago..or perhaps I'm thinking of Burtons. I definitely remember trying both raspberry and lemon flavours as a kid.

      Delete
    3. Kev youre greedy

      Delete
  2. Oh man! These looked so promising too, Jaffa cakes are the best thing in the world. What a disappointment. You can't beat the classic jaffa though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! *high fives fellow Jaffa Cake fan*

      Delete
  3. I remember when tango did a popping candy easter egg, that was awful! thank you for this review grocery gems, will know not to risk buying these lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easter eggs aswell?? I must have missed those (luckily!).

      Thanks :)

      Delete
    2. haha, yes in 2012, saw them in a bargain store! the chocolate just tasted awful and the popping candy was supposed to replicate the "fizz", they should just stick to making there (overly sugary) fizzy drinks

      :)

      Delete
    3. It's certainly a unique idea for an Easter Egg, but if they're going to do it, they should at least make it taste nice!

      Delete
  4. "And now a little rant about Jaffa Cakes... Jaffa Cakes are one of my favourite biscuits/cakes and I'd really like to see some more interesting flavours available, like peach or mango. I remember when there were Strawberry Jaffa Cakes and Blackcurrant Jaffa Cakes but now we're lucky to get the occasionally Halloween themed Lemon/Lime variety."

    YES! More flavours! I remember the raspberry ones. You can make your own outsize Jaffa Cake by topping a plain sponge with an at least 2x standard-concentration jelly eg. (the normal Rowntrees ones), then covering in plain chocolate (ganache if you don't want it flaking), but I'd so much rather just buy a packet of little ones. One huge Jaffa Cake is all very well for a family or a party, but seeing as I live alone I'd be eating only Jaffa Cake for week unless I palmed some off on neighbours and I don't want them to think I'm weirder than they already do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the idea for making your own Jan! Really simple too, I'll have to give it a try over the holidays. Thanks so much for sharing that :)

      My problem is none of my family eat Jaffa Cakes apart from me so I don't buy them as often as I'd like to. I might be able to tempt them with new flavours or a homemade massive cake though...

      Delete
  5. glad i didnt buy them now!

    i once bought one of those big packets of jaffa cake mishapes and i think i ate the whole thing (so many)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...