10 Sept 2012

Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread


Years ago my home economics teacher at school ( do kids still do that subject?) explained to me the magic of combining ingredients that you normally wouldn't like. You can hate rum as a drink and never eat raisins but still love rum and raisin ice cream. This is how I feel about fruit breads. I don't like most dried fruit and I never eat things like fruit cake or Christmas pudding. So why a tea cake or a slice of fruity bread can be appealing to me is a bit of a mystery.

The new Kingsmill Fruit & Fibre bread is a small loaf of bread with added mixed berries, apple and raisins. The bread had a slightly stale feel to it when it came out of the packet, it was quite hard. It's the type of bread that needs to be toasted first. I enjoyed mine with some Clover Lighter but here's a tip: always let the bread cool slightly, that way the butter doesn't melt as much and a little bit goes a long way.



The ingredients listed are quite a modern update to a classic fruit bread. There are cranberries, blueberries and raisins and thankfully no horrible orange peel bits. The distribution of the dried fruit was a little uneven making each slice different but I didn't mind that. The blueberries really made a difference to the flavour. They gave the bread a lovely blueberry flavour and sweetness.The cranberries were less noticeable and the apples practically non existant. I didn't even realise this was supposed to have apples in it until I relooked at the packaging.

Looking at the ingredients there are no spices added, I would have liked a bit of cinnamon for flavour. This new bread is great for people who don't like cinnamon but still want a bit of fruity bread. The "fibre" part of this Fruit & Fibre bread comes from the Wholewheat flour and the fact that 2 slices will give you 35% of your daily fibre intact. There are 83 calories per slice.

I bought this bread for £1.25 in Sainsbury's. There are two further products to be launched in this range: Kingsmill Fruit and Fibre Muffins and also Fruit and Fibre Bagels. I'm looking forward to trying the bagels and I'll certainly be buying these breads again.



1 comment:

  1. This looks YUM! I bet it's delicious toasted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...