2 Nov 2012

Innocent Veg Pot: Caribbean Jerk Curry



Innocent veg pots are one of those products that I buy as the colder months start to set in. In case you've never tried an Innocent Veg Pot, they're a meal made up of various vegetables mixed with rice or lentils. They are similar to a soup but just much thicker and very filling. All of the Veg Pots contain 3 of your 5 a day, and they make a fairly low calorie lunch. This new variety, Caribbean Jerk Curry caught my eye mainly because the description included the words "coconut rice". How could a coconut fiend such as myself resist?


On opening the pot, there is a sunny array of veggies, rice and beans which looks colourful and appetising. There is a also lovely fragrance predominantly from the fresh coriander on top of the pot. The veg pots are ridiculously easy to prepare since they just need a quick zap in the microwave (4 minutes in total). After cooking, and stirring, the colours and ingredients have all melded together nicely giving a thick stew like substance.


The flavours are all fantastic and very fresh tasting. Let me start by saying that I have never tasted real Caribbean jerk curry so I won't be able to review this product on the basis of that taste. The "curry" flavour is very mild, there is no heat as such, but I could taste the lovely warming spices of paprika and mild chilli. This Caribbean Veg Pot is a lot sweeter in taste than the other veg pots I have tried.. There are large chunks of the surprising ingredient mango. I was unsure about the inclusion of fruit but I was glad to find that the mango chunks tasted more like a sweet butternut squash than mango. I also loved the coconut rice, it has a deliciously rich flavour.


This Caribbean Jerk Curry has become my favourite Innocent Veg Pot so far and I have bought it quite a few times as a quick lunch. (As a curious aside my least favourite Veg Pot is the Thai Coconut Curry, even though I should love that one from it's name! It had so much lemongrass in it that I found it inedible).

The Innocent Caribbean Jerk Curry veg pot cost £3.69 each but are currently on a buy one get one free offer at Sainsbury's. Each pot contains 355 calories.


6 comments:

  1. I do like these Veg pots but they are a bit pricey I think. However if they are on a buy one get one free I am stocking up!
    Love the sound of the jerk curry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Australian we really don't have many quick meal options, so every time I go to the UK I walk goggle-eyed around M&S lunches and packaged sandwiches. I keep seeing this vegpots in cyberspace, so when I move to England in 3 weeks (!!!!) I definitely have to pick one up. This flavour sounds like something I'd like (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Australia so I didn't realise our lunch options here looked so great! M&S is fantastic though isn't it? I love their sandwiches!

      Good luck with the move here, it must be a very exciting time for you! Let me know how it all goes and if you ever try one of these veg pots! :)

      Delete
  3. I would love to try these but they are very expensive for what they are. Strangely enough I was in Asda only this morning and noticed they have a similar thing in their fresh veg aisle called veg pots (Asda branded). I didn't stop to check them out so I don't know if they're the same sort of thing ie. ready to heat, containing rice/lentils etc.... wish I had had a looky now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Following on from my post above I have just checked out the Asda veg pots out on their website and they seem to be the same sort of thing. They are £2 each or 2 for £3! They have 4 varieties - Curry (with rice), Italian (with pasta), Spicy Mexican (with rice) and a Red Thai Curry (with noodles) all of which go in the microwave for 4-5 mins

      Delete
  4. Hi Joanne,

    Thank you so much for pointing out the Asda Veg Pots. Great spot! I completely forgot about those, but I have seen them before too. I'll definitely be buying them at 2 for £3. The Mexican and Italian varieties sound very nice. I'll put a review up once I've tried them. Let me know if you try them!

    Hopefully it won't be long before other supermarkets have their own versions too!

    Thanks again, Katherine :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...