2 Jul 2013

Barny - Bear Shaped Sponge Cakes


These little cakes shaped like teddy bears were first released in France fourteen years ago, where they are known as Ourson. They are now available in the UK and have been renamed Barny. They are available in two varieties; Chocolate or Milk.


There are five individually wrapped cakes in each box. I bought mine in Tesco, on offer for £1.00.


The cakes are very adorable looking with their little belly button and chocolate paws. They are described very simply as "soft sponge cakes with a hidden chocolate filling".


Apologies for the decapitated bear photo above. There was really no nice way to show the inner chocolate filling. These cakes got a general thumbs up from all the taste testers here. The sponge is light and moist, with a good vanilla flavour. It's very similar in texture and taste to those mass produced Madeleine cakes that are quite cheap to buy. The inner chocolate filling, which makes up 30% of the overall cake, is smooth but has a very sweet chocolate flavour. They're fairly small so not very satisfying as a snack for adults, but kids will be sure to love them!

Grocery Gems Verdict: Barny - Chocolate

RATING: 7 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Will try the Milk flavour too.
Nutrition: 118 calories, 
9.6g sugars), 4.6g fat

Purchased: Tesco.
Price: £1.00.


6 comments:

  1. I got these last week and they were rather tasty, try heating them up in the microwave for 10 seconds, they taste even better, just watch yourself because the chocolate becomes molten! Great review as always :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great tip, I'll definitely give that a go. You can't beat a melty choccy middle!

      And thanks for the lovely comment too :)

      Delete
  2. Yum I loved these! They reminded me of a cake I used to get when I was a kid; I still need to get round to trying the milk variety too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to try the milk ones too, I'm curious to see if the white centre is a vanilla cream or more like a white chocolate.

      Delete
  3. Barny bars are the treat to beat! Does anybody know where I can buy the vanilla/milk flavour,my supermarkets don't seem to have them....:(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...