9 Jul 2013

Beyers Chocolates from South Africa & Amarula Chocolates Review


I was sent a fantastic selection of chocolates to try from the largest independent chocolate manufacturer in South Africa - Beyers Chocolates. They currently make a massive 35 tons of chocolate per week, and on average produce an impressive 250 new products a year. Most of their range is for the South African market but they also export all over the world and produce chocolates for some major UK companies and brands too.


I decided to start with their number one seller for boxed chocolates in South Africa, the Amarula chocolates. I absolutely love the packaging featuring elephants and a beautiful sunset. It's all based on the South African Amarula cream liqueur, a drink which is made from the fruit of the Marula tree, often known as the Elephant Tree.


Inside the box the lovely packaging continues, with the 20 large chocolates which are all individually wrapped in gold foil.


Even though I'm not usually a fan of alcoholic ingredients, I was delighted with the flavour of these Amarula chocolates. Firstly, the 33% cocoa solids minimum milk chocolate used is absolutely delicious (and that is something I will be saying again in all my Beyers Chocolates reviews!), as it just has a perfect balance of cocoa flavour and sweetness, without being too sugary. The Marula cream centre is smooth and rich, but also surprisingly light in texture, with a unique fruitiness. There is a slight kick to the flavour from the alcohol, but it doesn't overwhelm the lovely chocolate or filling.

Overall, I loved these fantastic Amarula chocolates, and I highly recommend giving them a try if you ever come across them.

I received this product for an honest review but all views expressed are my own. 

Grocery Gems Verdict: Amarula Chocolates

RATING: 9 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Yes.
Nutrition: 182 kj per serving. Contains alcohol.
Price: £7.00



4 comments:

  1. Wow, these sound fantastic! It's ages since I tried Amarula liquer but I remember really enjoying it - I can only imagine how tasty it is in chocolate form. Are these available in the UK or only from SA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kev, they really are premium chocolates, well worth a try!

      I've just updated the information above as they are available to buy in the UK from Not On The High Street.com.

      http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/oceanbluecandy/product/amarula-chocolate-truffles-20-piece-box

      Delete
    2. Thanks Katherine! Think I may have to make a sneaky purchase :)

      Delete
  2. Yummy! Alco-chocs are over of my secret favorites but most of them are not as tasty as they sound. But these sound truly delicious!
    Have you ever tired pink champagne truffles?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...