9 Mar 2013

Asda White Choc & Raspberry Hot Cross Buns Review


When Asda sent me some of their Easter range to try, the product that immediately grabbed my attention, even before some of the fab chocolate eggs, were these White Choc & Raspberry Hot Cross Buns. They seem like such a great twist on a traditional hot cross bun that is usually made with raisins, fruit peel and mixed spices. The reason why these appealed to me so much is that my husband absolutely hates raisins. Actually hates is not a strong enough word. Loathes them. I would go as far to say that he is raisin-phobic. Is there an official term for that? Unfortunately he's passed on his raisin-hating genes to my youngest son, so neither of them have ever eaten a Hot Cross Bun.


These are not just a raisin free zone they are also spice free. I love cinnamon and mixed spice, but I don't think those flavours would work very well with raspberry and white chocolate, so it's not a surprise that they have been left out here. Of course it also makes these hot cross buns fantastic for anyone who doesn't like those spices - the perfect product for all kinds of fusspots!


From the outside these look just like a traditional hot cross bun, complete with the distinctive cross pattern.


Once cut open they look very different to a regular hot cross bun: the colouring is a bit paler and there are lots of pink fruity bits. No raisins, fruit peel or spices here. The bun had a lovely sweet smell with a real hint of the raspberry and a hint of vanilla from the white chocolate.


I couldn't see any obvious chunks of white chocolate but I could certainly taste the sweetness of white chocolate within the dough itself. The raspberry fruit pieces are soft and blend in with the texture of the bread, unlike raisins which are much more chewy and distinct. Without the inclusion of the traditional spices, the sweet bread dough reminds me more of the bready part of an iced bun rather than a normal hot cross bun. The overall combination is just delicious and I can confirm that these are also very tasty with a dollop of raspberry jam on top!


I still love traditional hot cross buns too. Luckily for me these are all on offer on a 2 for £2.00 offer so I can buy one of each pack and keep everyone happy. Asda also has Mini Chocolate Chip Hot Cross Buns and Mini Strawberry Hot Cross Buns available, both of which I will definitely be buying soon.

So which side of the hot cross bun fence are you on: raisins or no raisins?

Grocery Gems Verdict: Asda White Choc & Raspberry Hot Cross Buns

RATING: 8 out of 10
Buy them again?: Thumbs up from hubby and kids.
Nutrition (per bun): 216 calories 
6.1g protein, 52.1g carbs (13g sugars), 4.6g fat.
Purchased: Asda.
Price: £1.25 or 2 packs for £2.00.


Asda's PR company kindly sent me these products for an honest review and all views are my own.


2 comments:

  1. I'm not a Raisin person myself, so I think I'll be trying those Raspberry and White Chocolate Hot Cross Buns, I've had Cookies in that flavour before, so I can sorta imagine what it tastes like, and It'd be a different late night supper snack for me, as I seem to consume lots of Shreddies at night haha. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth,
      It's good to know there are others that don't like raisins. I haven't seen many raisin-free hot cross buns about so I'm really happy with this range from Asda.

      And I'm with you on the late night cereal munchies lol :)

      p.s apologies for the very late reply to your comment!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...