6 Mar 2013

Mr. Kipling Banoffee Cake Slices Review


Mr. Kipling is the number one selling cake brand in the UK and it's not hard to see why, they keep the brand innovative by launching lots of new varieties. Even though I'm not a fan of their pies, it's hard to resist a Mr. Kipling cake slice (especially the lemon ones!), and seeing as I love banoffee as a flavour, I had to give these new Mr. Kipling Banoffee Slices a review.


The cakes come in individually wrapped snack packs, something that is obviously very handy if you don't fancy eating all six in one go!


The Mr. Kipling cake slice is essentially a small rectangular sponge cake, with a thin cream layer, all topped off with a thick layer of icing. This banoffee version has a nice yellow and brown colouring that compliments the flavours within. The cake is described as a "toffee flavour sponge with a banana flavour filling".


These cake slices are much smaller than I remember, there's probably a maximum of three or four bites per slice. I had mine with a cup of coffee and to be honest it was hard not to go for a second slice. The banoffee flavour in these has more emphasis on the toffee part of the word "banoffee" rather than the banana. There is an appetising toffee flavour in the sponge and also in the icing, with a subtle banana flavour coming from the inner filling. I would have preferred a stronger banana flavour but overall the flavours work well together to make a super sweet treat.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Mr. Kipling Banoffee Cake Slices

RATING: 7.5 out of 10.
Buy it again?: Yes.
Nutrition (per slice)
140 calories, 1.0g protein, 19.9g carbohydrates, 13.8g sugar, 6.2g fat. 

Purchased: Asda.
Price: £1.00p (special offer price).



9 comments:

  1. I love these snack packs because I don't eat cakes very often and usually the rest of the box goes stale before I get chance to finish them. I didn't like the 2 cake packs that they did before though as I couldn't be trusted not to eat both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean about the boxes, it's much better in regards to portion control and general waste. Although most of the time I would only buy Mr Kipling cakes if relatives are coming over (my Mum loves them) so a box is a better option rather then having to open all these individual ones!

      Delete
  2. I echo Hannah's comment - single packs are good, double packs aren't!

    These sound nice although it's a shame there's not more banana flavour. Companies never seem to get banoffee flavour right at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my quest for decent banana flavours continues :-)

      Delete
  3. These are awful! I think 7.5 is extremely generous, I would have given them a 5. They don't taste BAD, they just taste of nothing. It felt like an oily coating in my mouth stopping me from tasting anything. I got a slight hint of banana, but apart from that it was just sugary nothingness. They look so nice as well! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linz!

      It's a fair enough point and I do understand your comments. I didn't find these bars oily or bland, but I do agree with you on the sugariness! I don't buy Mr. Kipling very often (this is the first time in years) and they are just as sugary as I remember. I liked the toffee flavour in these and the banana too (even though it is quite a subtle flavour). They were much better than I was expecting!

      As I said I had mine with a cup of coffee which curbs the sweetness and brings out the other flavours. I wouldn't eat one of these without a strong coffee in hand!

      Delete
  4. surprised these only recieved a 7.5, the combination of mr kipling slices and banoffee flavour sounds absolutely heavenly to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, it does sound heavenly doesn't it! These definitely would have scored higher if there was more banana flavour. They're more of a toffee cake really, but still tasty :-)

      Delete
  5. Where can you buy the Banoffee slices

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...