4 Mar 2013

Big Turk Review (CyberCandy)


Turkish delight chocolates are one of those love/hate products. I know a lot of people (my whole family included) would not even contemplate eating a single bite of one. But that's alright by me as it means I got this Big Turk chocolate bar from CyberCandy all to myself.


The packaging is a very bright red, white and blue, which doesn't really convey what is inside, but somehow manages to look both plain and distinctive at the same time. There is a prominent yellow banner highlighting the fact that this bar has 60% less fat than the average chocolate bar.


Underneath the wrapper, the Big Turk chocolate bar has a unique undulating appearance. Even though it isn't really segmented; the curvy shape provides an inbuilt biting guide!

The thick chocolate covering is a very basic milk chocolate with not much cocoa flavour, however, it does provide a creamy backdrop to the jelly filling. Inside the chocolate is a bright pink Turkish delight centre. The texture is quite squishy but is nowhere near as soft as a traditional Turkish delight. It looks, and feels, like a gummy sweet version of a Turkish delight, all wrapped up in milk chocolate. 


I loved the bright pink colour of the Turkish delight. It was just asking to be cross sectioned with some light behind it! The flavour is what you would expect from a commercial Turkish delight covered in chocolate: it's sweet and with only the barest hint of traditional rose flavouring. It's obviously not for Turkish delight connoisseurs, but if you're a fan of Cadbury's Turkish Delight chocolates then you should definitely give this a go. It has a similar sweet flavour, but the firm jelly like texture makes the Nestlé Big Turk a very different experience.

My Big Turk is actually Canadian which explains the dual English/French language on the packaging. I got mine from CyberCandy and I would definitely buy it again.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Big Turk

RATING: 7.5 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Yes.
Nutrition (per 60g bar)
230 calories. 1g protein,  49g carbohydrates, 34g sugar, 3.5g fat.
Purchased: CyberCandy.
Price: £0.99p.


10 comments:

  1. Ooh I like the look of this! Great pics as usual Katherine.

    That sure is a very pink-looking centre. I like the sound of the firm jelly because I find regular turkish delights a bit off-putting with their "squidgy" centres, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kev!

    Yes I know exactly what you mean - this is much firmer than regular Turkish delight chocolates and I much preferred the texture. It is very very sweet though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know so many people in Canada that have been tricked by Big Turk not knowing that it's "turkish delight" on the inside. For the most part, they're not pleasantly surprised. It's more of an adult bar as if you have to have an acquired taste for it lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I can imagine the horror of biting into one of these if you were expecting a regular chocolate bar - especially for kids! I'm guessing Turkish delight sweets are not as well known in Canada as they are here.

      Delete
  4. Lovely review and some great pictures.

    I was a huge fan of Fry's Turkish Delight. At the time it was considered mildly exotic! But now I can get "real" Turkish sweets from my local Turkish grocer. How times have changed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think Turkish delight used to be quite popular in chocolates at one point, but it seems to have fallen out of favour from selection boxes etc. I guess more people have actually tried the real thing!

      Delete
  5. Well surprise surprise Catherine I'm a turkish delight fan too! we certainly do have very alike tastes as you've mentioned before!!
    It's the same with my family, the turkish delight choccies in mixed boxes are always given to me :oD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Turkish delight too! :D

    My mother uses it to make various sweet things. Which I've never been crazy about (the biscuit salami is decent, but that's about it), but I was always volunteering to cut the big Turkish delight chunks into slices for whatever she wanted to make. Three slices in her bowl, one in my mouth...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big Turk is the king - I lived in Canada for 10 years and this is one thing (of several) I really miss - just off to Cybercandy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...