29 Mar 2013

Nespresso Limited Edition Trieste & Napoli


Nespresso fans will be happy to hear about the release of two new Limited Edition Grand Crus, but I suspect they will be even more delighted to know that one of them has an intensity of 11. These Limited Edition coffees have been inspired by two beautiful Italian towns. There is Napoli, with an 11 intensity, and Trieste, with an intensity of 9. I know that Nespresso owners have long been awaiting an intensity greater than 10. Indeed, it's been a few years since Nespresso released the Limited Edition and extremely popular 12 intensity Kazaar.

When I went to the Nespresso Store in London yesterday the new coffees were only available in this double pack costing £7.00, with one sleeve of each new variety. The design features a leather type effect on the outer sleeve and on the boxes themselves. The colours used are red, green and white, evoking the Italian flag. I love the look of the capsules with their white background stamped with the names of the coffee. It's a very different look for the Nespresso range.


The Nespresso Napoli is described as a blend of South American, African and Asian Arabicas and best enjoyed as a Ristretto (the smallest 25ml setting). The taste is described as having smokey notes with an aromatic woodiness and slightly syrupy body. I made the coffee as suggested to enjoy the full intensity and I was surprised by just how velvety it was, especially given the intensity. However there is also a bitter note which comes through as an aftertaste. I can see why Nespresso also suggest enjoying the Napoli with sugar, no doubt to curb that slight bitterness. This would be the perfect coffee to use as the base for other drinks such as cappuccino or latte, where you still want an intense coffee flavour.


The Nespresso Trieste is a 9 intensity blend with a much silkier and subtle flavour. It is also recommended as a Ristretto (25ml). I've also made it using the slightly larger Espresso size and added some hot milk (as shown in the photo above). It's described by Nespresso as having a rounder texture with chocolate and hazelnut notes. For me there was a sweet smooth flavour to this coffee, almost like caramel, which was just delicious. Considering that the Trieste has a high intensity too, it doesn't have too bitter an edge. This was actually my favourite of the two and I can imagine I will be stocking up for the future.


If you've tried these new Nespresso coffees then let me know what you think by leaving a comment below. Are you pleased to see these as Limited Editions or would you prefer them to be added to the permanent range?

Update 07/04/13: Having drunk both these coffees regularly since writing this review I don't think I will be stocking up on either of them, well at least not beyond the stash I already have! I'm always glad to find new products, and these certainly do have a very unique flavour, but the bitter aftertaste of both is not really for me, especially since I don't put sugar in my coffee. They're still worth a try if you want something a little bit different from Nespresso.


12 comments:

  1. These both sound so nice, especially the Trieste! I wish I had a Nespresso boutique near me, but there are very few in the United States.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Trieste is really good, I've enjoyed a few cups today! I know what you mean about the Nespresso boutique, it's annoying to have to do an online order just to try out a limited edition. I'm lucky to have one fairly nearby (well, it's easy to travel to anyway!). I hope Nespresso open some more boutiques in the US soon!

      Delete
  2. So glad I read this today as my husband's heading that way tomorrow (Nespresso store London)he can pick some up. I prefer sticking to the 4s, 5s and 6s while he likes the strong ones. However, that Trieste sounds gorgeous so I'll give that one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm the same when it comes to intensity and I loved the Trieste so hopefully you will like it too!

      The Napoli was not really for me but my husband, like yours, prefers the stronger coffees, so he's really enjoying this one.

      Let me know what you think if you try them :)

      Delete
  3. I've ordered two double-packs, hope they taste as nice as it sounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trieste is the best of the two however that is not saying much, both are over roasted and Nespresso is losing sight of what it is all about. IT IS about the coffee not about two Italian cities. Spend on coffee and then do not destroy by over roasting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do I have to hear about this from Grocery Gems! I'm sure I'm on the Nespresso mailing list but I didn't know this existed until I saw it on your blog, Katherine! I had the same thing with the Linizio Lungo's.

    Katherine, you're performing a public service for all coffee addicts :)

    I'll see if I can get my hands on these. I like the strong Cru's. I could almost taste them from your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting to see the differing opinions for the same coffees. And that with further drinking, opinions change. I've had one cup of each of Napoli and Trieste so far. My first impressions are that I will be going out to buy up the stock of Napoli - I loved the italian - flavour, and the strength - just my favourite type of coffee. (And always black - never understood the practice of introducing milk into coffee! And I usually drink it "lungo", being the standard practice in Switzerland.) For me, Trieste, by comparison, was a disappointment. Acceptable, pretty nondescript, without the strength of Napoil, nor the italian-esque flavour.
    Just goes to show that our taste buds and preferences are all different.
    Happy coffee drinking....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GCD, thank you so much for your comment, very interesting stuff!

      Yes it's funny how we all have different tastes when it comes to coffee, even just between me and my husband! Like you, he's really enjoying the Napoli. Which is your favourite overall from the Nespresso range?

      Also, despite the photos above we nearly always drink out coffee lungo style too - it's definitely the best way! :)

      Happy coffee drinking to you too!

      Delete
  7. Loved both these, when I tried to reorder they were sold out. Would like them added to the permanent range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Nespresso mean Limited Edition they really mean LIMITED - sometimes they're only around for a few weeks to a month. Hopefully they will re-release these soon. At the very least, I'm sure it won't be long before Nespresso introduce a higher intensity coffee into the permanent range too.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...