29 Mar 2013

Ormo Soda Farls & Potato Farls and an Ulster Fry!


This post is thanks to one of my lovely, lovely readers, Becca, from The Sparkling Recoverer, who contacted me on St. Patricks Day, after reading about my Around the World challenge. She noticed that I hadn't reviewed anything from Ireland, a completely shocking oversight on my part! Well, Becca soon put that to rights by sending me a whole box of Irish goodies, including these breads and even instructions on making an "Ulster Fry". Thank you to Becca, and to her lovely Mum too, for such a wonderful parcel and for helping me with my challenge on behalf of Ireland!


Ormo is a company based in Belfast, Northern Ireland, who have been baking traditional Irish breads for over 135 years. The two breads that Becca sent me are traditionally used to make an "Ulster Fry", which is very similar to a full fried breakfast, but with potato farls and soda bread on the side.


The Ormo Soda Farls are breads made with baking soda rather than yeast. They are very versatile and easy to toast or fry. Once toasted, they tasted quite similar to an English muffin type of bread, but much softer and springy, and with a tangy edge. They were just delicious with a little bit of butter on top, so soft and tasty!


The Orma Potato Farls are thinner than the Soda Farls, but are much heavier in texture, and are made of mashed potato and flour. The consistency was a bit like a thick pancake, but denser from the potato. We put these in a frying pan with a little butter to get them lovely and golden. I'm going to have to find a local supermarket that sells these because they were absolutely delicious and perfect with a fry up.


So here's my finished Ulster Fry! Although when I say "my" I have to give props to Mr. Grocery Gems because he's the undisputed Master of fry ups in this house. He did most, ok it was all, of the cooking. This Ulster Fry includes; the soda and potato farls, bacon, sausages, eggs, baked beans, grilled tomatoes and mushrooms! There are many recipes online for an Ulster Fry, like this one from the Hairy Bikers, and I would recommend giving it a go, it's so much nicer than just a normal fry up with toast!


Many thanks again to Becca for sending this out, everyone in my family loved the breads and the Ulster Fry! I'll soon have a review of these fantastic Irish crisps that Becca also very kindly sent.


14 comments:

  1. That's one delicious looking fry-up! I don't think I've ever tried soda farls before, will keep an eye out for them next time I'm shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Kev! I'm usually rubbish at food photograhy, it's hard to get right, but I thought this photo looked much better than my usual standard!

      I just had a look online and that there is a brand called "Rankins" which sells potato farls and soda bread in the UK (Tesco and Waitrose should have them). I'll have to try them to see if they are as good as the real thing!

      http://www.rankinselection.com/products.aspx

      Delete
    2. Are you kidding, your photos are always top-notch Katherine!

      Thanks for the info, I'll have a look for those farls next time I'm at Tesco. I've seen the Rankins soda bread in Morrisons before but not sure if they do the farls as well.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, Katherine, that is one of the BEST looking Ulster fry up's i've seen, not even kidding. It looks so colourful, beautiful cooked and well presented, wow! Haha, i'm sad I'm not sitting down to YOUR version of an ''ulster fry'' because wow, it looks scrumptious! Thank you ever so much again for this wonderful blog post and mention on my blog too, thank you, thank you! :), soooo super happy you and Mr Grocery gem's loved the breads! Props to him, also....that fry up looks perfection.
    Can't wait to read your post on the crisps! TIf you ever struggle to find these breads, let me know...ormo bread factory is literally just down the road ;)! Great review, Miss Katherine, have a wonderful Easter!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Becca, I'm glad you liked the review and photos! Thanks again for sending them out :D

      That's so cool that Ormo Bread factory is down the road from you! Can you smell the bread baking?? lol

      Have a lovely Easter too! Katherine x

      Delete
  3. What a lovely thing for Becca to do! Could you forward her my address please?! hehehehehe ;o) I don't recall seeing these around over here but if I did spot them I would def give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I love your comment as always Jo!! You should definitely try these if you can find them. I think I'll contact Ormo and convince them to expand over here - it could work! :D

      Delete
  4. And YES that fry-up does look amaaaazing!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Irish potato farls and that looks like a proper awesome breakfast! Agree with Kev, awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah, I'd really never tried them before but I guarantee I'll be eating them again in the future! Where do you buy yours from?

      And thank you for the lovely comments too! x

      Delete
    2. From Sainsbury's, they are by Paul Rankin.

      Delete
  6. Try soda farls split in half length ways with a slice of cheddar and some black pepper, toasted under the grill for a few minutes.

    Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant idea! I don't need too much convincing to try that one - sounds delicious!
      Thanks :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...