23 Mar 2013

Mr Kipling Caramel Slices & Lemon Layered Slices


I recently reviewed the new Mr. Kipling Banoffee Slices and I was once again lured by the word new on these Caramel Slices. They're not immediately as enticing as the Banoffee Slices but I thought they were still worth a try. And since they were on a special offer for £1.00, I also picked up these New(ish) Lemon Layered Slices. Apparently there is also a new Chocolate Slices available too.


I mentioned in the Banoffee Slices review that I hadn't bought Mr. Kipling cakes in years, they're not a product that has particularly appealed to me. However, I do remember some of the range quite fondly from my childhood, especially the lemon slices.


Mr. Kipling cake slices now come in packs of six individually sealed portions.


The new Mr. Kipling Caramel Slices are described as a moist caramel sponge, with a caramel layer, topped off with chocolate.


The cake part is extremely moist and soft, but with a slightly greasy quality too. The caramel flavour in the sponge is very rich giving the cake a nice dark colouring. On top of the sponge is a thick layer of caramel, which is very sweet and sugary but with a lovely, almost burnt, caramel taste. The chocolate layer on top of that is very thin and tastewise it doesn't get a look in. The flavour of these cakes is simply caramel all the way. They're a bit too sweet for me and not as moreish as some of the other cake slices but I think they will be popular with Mr. Kipling fans.


The Lemon Layered Slices are very similar to the original Mr. Kipling Lemon Slices but with an added "lemon flavour filling". If you've never had a Mr. Kipling Lemon Slices they're moist little cakes topped with icing, with a super sweet but zesty lemon flavouring. These Lemon Layered Slices are essentially the same but now have a very thin layer of lemon in the middle of the cake too. It definitely adds a bit more lemony flavour but I'm not sure many people would notice the difference.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Mr. Kipling Caramel Slices & Lemon Layered Slices

RATING: 7.5 out of 10.
Buy it again?: A bit too sweet for me but still good with a strong cup of tea or coffee!
Nutrition (Caramel)
156 calories, 1.2g protein, 19.3g carbs, 14g sugar, 8.2g fat. 

Nutrition (Lemon)134 calories, 0.9g protein, 21.1g carbs, 14.9g sugar, 5.1g fat.
Purchased: Sainsburys.
Price: 2 packs for £2.00 or £1.20 each.



3 comments:

  1. my god i freakin love mr kipling slices, the caramel slices look so tasty - will need to try them soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol thanks! Let me know what you think if you try them :)

      Delete
  2. Agreed! I love the le,on slices. Convenient packaging( can be torn to individual packs) and good size. Very tasty. My personal rating is 9.5/10 :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...