20 Mar 2013

Cornetto Mix Mini Review (Fruity)


The range of Cornetto's and the Cornetto Enigma's in my local supermarket is quite limited. If I want something more exciting than Classic, Chocolate or Strawberry, then I usually look to the supermarket own brands of cones - mint choc chip for example. Tesco even has a fab new Peanut Butter cone and a Cookies and Cream cone in their range! It's a shame because I know that Cornetto does awesome flavours in other (hotter) European countries. Like the new Cornetto Enigma Popcorn available in Portugal. Me wanty!


So I was pleased to see these new Mix Mini Cornetto selections. I went for the new Fruity selection (there is also a Warm Mix Mini selection with has Caramel, Chocolate & Classic cones) because two of the Cornettos were new to me. Despite the "fruity" name, only the Strawberry Cornetto is fruit based. I was more interested in trying the other two flavours in the pack: Stracciatella and Hazelnut.


The box has six mini cones inside. Two of each of the three flavours. I love the turquoise colouring on the packaging and the small size of the ice creams. It definitely has the cuteness factor all sewn up.

Stracciatella usually refers to a vanilla ice cream with chocolate shavings, so it's no surprise that the English translation given to this cone is "vanilla choc chips". The cone is filled with vanilla ice cream with chocolate pieces and chocolate swirls on top.


The chocolate pieces are actually dark chocolate covered biscuit pieces, which taste similar to an Oreo type cookie - making this more of a cookies and cream type cone. Indeed I think it's much nicer than last years Cornetto Enigma Cookies which didn't actually have much cookie flavour.


Next up is the mini Hazelnut Cornetto and this was probably my favourite. I love idea of chocolate and hazelnut together and it usually works very well in an ice cream format. Here, the actual ice cream is hazelnut flavoured, certainly not something I have seen in a Cornetto before.


There are also little hazelnut pieces and chocolate swirls on the top of the cone to add an extra nutty flavour. It's all quite simple but it all works very well indeed to create a very tasty ice cream cone.


Last up is the Strawberry. This is certainly not the most exciting flavour in the world but I was glad to see that it is slightly different from the standard Strawberry Cornettos that are already available. This mini version has strawberry ice cream all the way through, rather than just vanilla ice cream, aswell as a very thick syrupy strawberry sauce on top.


This one also has white chocolate flakes on top, which adds to the sweetness. The strawberry sauce seemed to be a bit thick for such a small ice cream, there almost wasn't enough ice cream to hold the sauce together which led to it falling apart a little. But it does have a lovely strawberry flavour and I'm sure anyone who like strawberry cones will enjoy this one.


I know these are called Mini but I think it's worth stating that they are very small. Probably not more than a handful of bites for an adult, but obviously a great size for young children, anyone who finds a whole cone too sickly or if you want to save a few calories compared to the full size.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Cornetto Max Mini

RATING: 7.5 out of 10.

Buy them again?: I'll definitely try the Warm Mix Mini too.
Nutrition (Stracciatella)
: 120 calories, 1g protein, 14g Carb, 9g sugars, 6g fat.

Nutrition (Hazelnut): 120 calories, 1.5g protein, 13g Carb, 10g sugars, 6g fat.
Nutrition (Strawberry): 100 calories, 0.6g protein, 14g Carb, 11g sugars, 4g fat.
Purchased: Sainsburys.
Price: £2.75 (currently on offer for £2.00).

2 comments:

  1. I NEED these in my life. I have been looking for them for a while, where did you find them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were in Sainsbury's - on offer for £2.00 at the moment too!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...