14 Mar 2013

Options Hot Chocolate: Limited Edition Jazzy Ginger & More


I recently reviewed Cadbury's new Wispa Hot Chocolate which has completely rekindled my interest in hot chocolate as an evening drink. As soon as Becca from The Sparkling Recoverer recommended the Options range and the Wicked White hot chocolate I knew I had to give it a try. Thank you Becca! When I went to have a look instore, I was surprised by just how many flavours there are including this Limited Edition Jazzy Ginger. I don't think I have ever tried a ginger hot chocolate before and I absolutely loved it. The ginger flavour is sweet rather than being too spicy, with a lovely warmth that builds as you drink. It's a delicious combination that works well with the chocolate.


The Wicked White chocolate drink is just as Becca described. It's very creamy (especially if you make it with milk or add a splash of milk) and has a smooth vanilla flavour. It really does taste of white chocolate and is great for anyone who likes sweet milky drinks.


I hadn't intended to buy so many varieties but there was no way I was leaving this Caribbean Coconut flavour behind on the shelf! I had no idea this even existed. Imagine getting a chocolate coconut treat for only 38 calories - heaven. I made this one with just water and it was still quite frothy and thick. If you've read this blog before you won't be surprised that I loved this.


Yes I did buy the Mint Madness too! At the time of buying (from Sainsbury's) these sachets were on a 7 for £1.50 deal, which is a fab price. I don't want sound repetitive but I really enjoyed the Mint Madness too - basically I liked all of them! It has just the right amount of mint flavour for the chocolate. I've also seen online that they also do a banana hot chocolate called Go Bananas, which I simply MUST find!

The chocolate flavour in all these drinks is very satisfying. It's described as Belgian Choc on the front, which doesn't really mean much, but it's a perfectly decent chocolate flavour. It's not as indulgent as the Wispa hot chocolate but it's much nicer than I was expecting for the calories. Of course, as these are low calories drinks, they all contain artificial sweeteners, but I didn't find they had a dominant aftertaste that you sometimes get with these kinds of drinks. They're great for anyone who is trying to reduce their calories, or reduce their sugar intake, but still enjoy a chocolate treat.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Options Hot Chocolate

Overall my favourite from the range was the Caribbean Coconut which I will definitely be buying again.


RATING: 8 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Definitely.
Nutrition
: From 38 to 44 calories.
Purchased: Sainsburys.
Price: £0.36p per sachet or £2.79 per jar.



6 comments:

  1. I'm not a hot choc kinda gal but the coconut one I simply MUST try! Fab review as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give the Coconut a try, it's gorgeous! Let me know what you think if you try it! x

      Delete
  2. Hey lovely lady,

    Thank you ever so much for the mention in this post, had my little five minutes of fame haha!! Sooo glad the wicked white hot chocolate didn't disappoint you!, It's my absolute favourite. Uber happy you tried other flavours too while you were at it, i've tried all the flavours also, and have to admitt I love them all too! They also have a limited edition range, infact I just purchased the banoffee one today, it's delicious! The ''go banana's'' one is devine! Hope you can find it for sure!! :) I've also noticed another brand of hot chocolate range, quite expensive tho but I would love to try their range, as they've so many flavours, maybe you'd be interested also?
    http://www.whittard.co.uk/hot_chocolate
    Check them out anyways :)
    Wonderful review Katherine, so glad you enjoyed them! Can't beat 38-44 calorie chocolate fix ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becca!

      I actually went out the very next day to buy them after you mentioned it. I've had to go back to get more! Funnily enough every time I go to Sainsbury's they seem to have different Limited Editions but I haven't seen the Banoffee or Banana ones yet. I'm sure they won't be hard to find, I'll just try Tesco instead :)

      oooh yes I've seen the Whittard ones and I'm so tempted by their flavours!! It is quite an expensive range though. Maybe I can get a tub of hot choc for Easter instead of a chocolate egg lol. I won't be able to resist giving it a try much longer though so watch this space!

      I also bought that Banoffee coffee from Ebay that you reviewed so I'll be mentioning you again soon! :D

      Katherine x

      Delete
  3. Ooh no, the white chocolate one is horrible! Wasn't a fan of that at all. Really like the coconut, orange, mint and Limited Edition Chocolate Fudge flavours however. Not a fan of the Chocolate Brownie though, it's quite sickly and the smell lingers for a long time....
    These are such handy little sachets though, always a nice little treat to help you fall asleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww such a great idea, funny enough my Momma is buying me the white hot chocolate from whittards for Easter haha, so I think that's a great idea! :D Awesome, that coffee is wonderful, I also tried the irish cream and Belgium chocolate from Jacc's too! Yaay can't wait for the post now :D! I will most defiantly be watching this space, love your reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...